Chemical potential and fugacity

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of chemical potential in both MB statistics and quantum statistics. The textbook defines it as ##\mu = (\frac{\partial F}{\partial N})_{V,T}## in MB statistics and later as ##\alpha = -\mu/kT## in quantum statistics. However, the book provides a method to show the equivalence of these definitions by considering the fundamental thermodynamic equation and the derivation of the distribution function. Ultimately, it is concluded that ##\alpha = \frac{-\mu}{kT}## and ##\beta = \frac{1}{kT}##.
Kaguro
I am trying to learn statistical physics. While learning MB statistics, my textbook defined chemical potential as ##\mu = (\frac{\partial F}{\partial N})_{V,T}##. That's nice.

Later when I started on Quantum statistics, my textbook described all three distribution functions via:
##n_i = \frac{g_i}{e^{\alpha + \beta E_i} + \kappa}##
We had already found out the value of beta from MB statistics (using MB distr. function. Why would that apply here is another mystery altogether)

Then suddenly book said:
##n_i = \frac{g_i}{e^{\frac{E_i - \mu}{K_B T}} + \kappa}##

Where we define chemical potential via the relation ##\alpha = -\mu/kT## (and its exponential is called fugacity)

How and why did the book define the same thing twice!?

Physics news on Phys.org
To all future people who want to know: I found out how can we show equivalence.

We need to define mu only once, but neither in these places. We need to define mu in the fundamental thermodynamic equation:

First consider Grand Canonical Ensemble, that is, allow particle number to change.

Generalise first and second laws into this:

##dU = TdS - PdV + \mu dN##
We define ##\mu## as the rate of change of energy per unit change in particle number.

Then from this relation, ##\mu = (\frac{\partial U}{\partial N})_{S,V}##
F = U-TS
So, ##dF=-PdV - SdT + \mu dN##
##\Rightarrow \mu = (\frac{\partial F}{\partial N})_{T,V}## (Yaay!)

Now while deriving the distribution function by maximizing the log of number of microstates and using method of Lagrange multipliers we got:

##d(lnW) = \alpha dN + \beta dE##
So, ##\alpha = (\frac{\partial ln(W)}{\partial N})_{E,V}##

But we know ##S=k_B ln(W)## (separate derivation for that. But it is standalone)
##\Rightarrow lnW = \frac{S}{k_B}##
##\Rightarrow \alpha = \frac{1}{k_B} (\frac{\partial S}{\partial N})_{E,V}##

Now, ##TdS=dU+PdV-\mu dN##
##(\frac{\partial S}{\partial N})_{U,V} = \frac{-\mu}{T}##

Therefore, ##\alpha = \frac{-\mu}{kT}## (Yaaaay!)

Similarly we can show that ##\beta = \frac{1}{kT}##

Hence Proved.

1. What is chemical potential?

The chemical potential is a thermodynamic quantity that measures the change in free energy of a system when the number of particles or moles of a substance is changed by a small amount, while keeping the temperature, pressure, and composition of the system constant.

2. How is chemical potential related to fugacity?

Fugacity is a measure of the escaping tendency of a substance from a non-ideal mixture. It is related to the chemical potential through the fugacity coefficient, which takes into account the deviations from ideal behavior in a mixture.

3. What is the difference between chemical potential and fugacity?

The main difference between chemical potential and fugacity is that chemical potential is a thermodynamic property that applies to a single pure substance, while fugacity is a property that applies to non-ideal mixtures.

4. How is chemical potential used in phase equilibrium calculations?

Chemical potential plays a crucial role in determining the equilibrium conditions between different phases of a substance. In phase equilibrium calculations, the chemical potential of a substance in each phase must be equal in order for the system to be in equilibrium.

5. Can chemical potential and fugacity be negative?

Yes, both chemical potential and fugacity can be negative. This indicates that the substance has a lower tendency to escape or change its state compared to a reference substance. Negative values are often observed in mixtures with high pressures or low temperatures.