Potential vs Potential energy

In summary: So, in summary, you would provide 1.1V to the electron using battery, or 1.1eV to the electron using an accelerator.
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
I want to know the difference between potential and potential energy in electrostatics
I want to know the difference between potential and potential energy. The potential is measured in volts and we provide potential ex 12V to a circuit. Some times we also say a potential energy to be applied to the electron ex. 1eV etc. I know eV is energy, but my question is do we need to provide Volts or electron volts (energy)? How do i differentiate when to apply what?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Potential is potential energy per unit charge. In other words, if you multiply potential by charge you get potential energy.

Electric potential is in volts ( Joules/Coulomb )
Mechanical potenial energy is in Joules

Mechanical potential energy of a charge is in Joules / Coulomb * Coulomb
Electron charge is e ( 1.6 e-19 Coulomb )
Mechanical potential energy of an electron is in Volts * e, aka eV

So far, no big deal.
It becomes interesting and useful in context, e.g. when mass and energy become equivalent with ## E = mc^2##. And suddenly we don't speak of electron mass in kilograms but the equivalent 511 keV/c2

So
PhysicsTest said:
do we need to provide Volts or electron volts
is easy: Volts for potential, eV for energy, eV/c^2 for mass.
All three different dimensions !

The question 'do we need to provide Joules or eV' is not so easy: depends on the context ! (High energy physicists use eV, high school exercises often explicitly ask for Joules).

I understand some of them, but one particular question i want clarity is,
To move an electron from valence band to conduction band you need to give 1.1eV of energy. So, here do we provide energy to the electron of 1.1eV or provide 1.1V volt to the electron using battery? or both of them mean the same?

PhysicsTest said:
I understand some of them, but one particular question i want clarity is,
To move an electron from valence band to conduction band you need to give 1.1eV of energy. So, here do we provide energy to the electron of 1.1eV or provide 1.1V volt to the electron using battery? or both of them mean the same?
One way to provide an electron with ##1.1eV## is to accelerate it through ##1.1V##.

1. What is the difference between potential and potential energy?

Potential refers to the possibility or likelihood of something happening, while potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. In other words, potential is a concept, while potential energy is a physical quantity.

2. How is potential energy related to an object's position?

Potential energy is directly related to an object's position. The higher an object is positioned, the more potential energy it has, and the lower it is positioned, the less potential energy it has. This is because the higher an object is, the greater its potential to fall and release energy.

3. Can potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, when a rollercoaster car reaches the top of a hill, it has a high amount of potential energy. As it goes down the hill, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, the energy of motion.

4. How is potential energy different from kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy is stored energy, while kinetic energy is energy in motion.

5. What are some examples of potential energy?

Some common examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a book placed on a shelf, a compressed spring, and a ball held up in the air. In all of these examples, the objects have potential energy due to their position or state.