Potentials of conservative forces

In summary, Goldstein explains that a system is considered conservative if the potential, denoted by V, is not an explicit function of time. This means that only potentials of the form V(r) are considered conservative. However, the definition of a conservative force is one whose closed loop integral is zero. As such, Goldstein argues that V(r, ṙ) is not a conservative potential. There is further discussion online about whether the magnetic force is conservative or not, and Goldstein's definition of a conservative force using the first variation of the action and the Hamiltonian.
Kashmir
Goldstein writes

"only if ##V## is not an explicit function of time is the system conservative"That means ##V(r,\dot{r})## is a conservative potential, however I think that only potentials of the form ##V(r)## are conservative potentials.

Could you please tell me where I'm going wrong.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
PeroK said:
There's a discussion here about whether the magnetic force is conservative or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservative_force

And, there is plenty of further discussion online.
If we define a conservative force those whose closed loop integral is zero, then ##V(r,\dot{r})## isn't conservative?
That's the definition the author began with.

Kashmir said:
If we define a conservative force those whose closed loop integral is zero, then ##V(r,\dot{r})## isn't conservative?
That's the definition the author began with.
I'm not familiar with Goldstein, so I'm not sure what he's up to!

I'd not call ##V(\vec{x},\dot{\vec{x}})## a potential, but that's only a semantic question.

The math simply is that the first variation of the action is invariant under time translations if the Lagrangian is not explicitly time dependent, and then the Hamilotonian,
$$H=\dot{q}^k p_k - L=\text{const}$$
along the solutions of the Euler-Lagrange equations of motion, where the canonical momenta are defined by
$$p_k=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}^k}.$$

1. What is a conservative force?

A conservative force is a type of force that does not depend on the path taken by an object, but only on the starting and ending points. This means that the work done by a conservative force is independent of the path taken by the object, and only depends on its initial and final positions.

2. What are some examples of conservative forces?

Some examples of conservative forces include gravity, electrostatic force, and spring force. These forces all follow the principle of conservation of energy, where the total energy of the system remains constant regardless of the path taken by the object.

3. How are conservative forces related to potential energy?

Conservative forces are related to potential energy through the equation U = -∫Fdx, where U is the potential energy, F is the conservative force, and dx is the displacement. This means that the change in potential energy is equal to the negative of the work done by the conservative force.

4. What are the properties of conservative forces?

Conservative forces have several properties, including the fact that they are path-independent, work done is reversible, and the total mechanical energy of the system is conserved. In addition, conservative forces are always perpendicular to the displacement of the object.

5. How are conservative forces different from non-conservative forces?

The main difference between conservative and non-conservative forces is that non-conservative forces are path-dependent, meaning that the work done by these forces depends on the path taken by the object. Non-conservative forces also do not follow the principle of conservation of energy, so the total mechanical energy of the system is not conserved.