Power Amplifier and Exciter, Impedance / Power

In summary: Do you think this is a safe setup?In summary, an amplifier can put out 500 watts into a 4 ohm speaker and three exciters can handle that amount of power. However, if you connect all three exciters to the amplifier, you may exceed the amp's maximum voltage and cause it to blow.
student_173
Hello. I have a question regarding an power amplifier (signal generator). I have three exciters and want to connect them to the power amplifier. One exciter have a impedance of 8ohm and power of 25 watt. The ampliefier have one output with the electical data: 4 ohm : 500watt; 6ohm: 330 watt and 8ohm : 250 watt. now my question. It is possible to connect all three exciters over the one output from the apmpliefier? If yes, why?
Thanks for help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Those are the max or ideal ratings telling you how much power they can supply. At 8 ohms, 250 watts your amplifier should be able to put out ~5 amps. So, your three exciters at 8 ohms 25 watts would require 1.6 amps each in parallel or 1.7 amps in series. If I did the math correctly, you should be fine.

Can you elucidate the math here? I am lost.

Welcome to PF.

student_173 said:
I have three exciters and want to connect them to the power amplifier.
What's an exciter?

hutchphd said:
Can you elucidate the math here? I am lost.
##250=I^2 * 8##
##I=5.5##
That would be the current for the amplifier.

##25=I^2 * 8##
##I=1.6##
That would be the current to each "exciter" in parallel.

Last edited:
There seems to be a linguistic confusion here about inputs and outputs and what is driving what. May we have a better description of the set up?

OK, I guessing that you have an audio power amplifier and you want to connect 3 speakers to a single output. Is that correct? I'm confused about the specifications you listed. For example:
student_173 said:
I have three exciters
student_173 said:
One exciter have a impedance of 8ohm and power of 25 watt.
what are the others? Please try again with more clarity.

If they are all the same, then yes I think it should work with the loads in parallel. Then your equivalent load would be 2.7Ω, with 75W, 5.3A, 14V at the limit. I think series may not work because of the higher voltage required (42V max). Amplifier stability will probably be OK. The specs imply at least a 4Ω - 8Ω range, 2.7Ω isn't too far away from that. If you're an audiophile, you may want more damping, IDK.

Edit: Series should also work.
1663952783151.png

Last edited:
Likes artis
Sure the amp can handle the exciters. Can the exciters handle the amp?
It seems the amplifier can produce 125 V Rms to put 500 W into a 4 ohm speaker. you would blow up an 8 ohm 25 W exciter at more than 10% of the maximum signal. Even with 3 exicters in series you get about 28W per exciter.

1. What is a power amplifier and exciter?

A power amplifier and exciter is a device used to increase the power of a signal, typically in the context of radio frequency (RF) signals. The power amplifier amplifies the signal while the exciter provides the necessary modulation and control signals.

2. How does a power amplifier and exciter work?

A power amplifier and exciter work together to amplify and modulate an input signal. The exciter generates the necessary modulation and control signals, which are then amplified by the power amplifier and transmitted to the output.

3. What is the role of impedance in power amplifiers and exciters?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of electric current. In power amplifiers and exciters, impedance matching is crucial for efficient signal transmission. A mismatch in impedance can result in signal loss and reduced performance.

4. What is the difference between power and impedance in relation to power amplifiers and exciters?

Power refers to the amount of energy that can be transmitted by the amplifier, while impedance refers to the resistance to the flow of this energy. A power amplifier increases the power of the signal, while impedance matching ensures efficient transmission of this power.

5. What are some common applications of power amplifiers and exciters?

Power amplifiers and exciters are commonly used in radio and communication systems, such as broadcast transmitters, satellite communication systems, and radar systems. They are also used in medical equipment, scientific instruments, and industrial applications where high-power RF signals are required.