Power Consumption: 10 Amps, 120 Volts = 12 Watts

In summary: And I never said anything about Australians taking their appliances to the US. But I told you what would happen if an American took an American appliance to Australia. I know because I've done it.
tDexx

Homework Statement

What is the power consumed when plugging an iron with a rating of 10 amps to a 120 volt outlet?

Homework Equations

(watts/volts)=amps

The Attempt at a Solution

(w/120)=10 amps
120= 10 amps (w)
120/10=12
12 watts.

Physics news on Phys.org
tDexx said:

Homework Statement

What is the power consumed when plugging an iron with a rating of 10 amps to a 120 volt outlet?

Homework Equations

(watts/volts)=amps

(w/120)=10 amps
120= 10 amps (w)
120/10=12
12 watts.

Is this iron designed for 120V?

I know my country uses 240V, but I could always take my iron to the US ans plug it in. I wouldn't work very well - certainly wouldn't draw 10 amps - but I could connect it without problems.

PeterO said:
Is this iron designed for 120V?

I know my country uses 240V, but I could always take my iron to the US ans plug it in. I wouldn't work very well - certainly wouldn't draw 10 amps - but I could connect it without problems.

Is the voltage of AC mains power [that the hypothetical iron is designed for] really relevant to the problem? :confused: Also, I know that it's dubious that an iron would draw its maximum rated current (esp. if that's 10 A!) under normal operation. But this problem really just seems to be testing whether the OP understands that power = voltage*current. What's wrong with an unrealistic problem?
tDexx said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

(watts/volts)=amps

(w/120)=10 amps
120= 10 amps (w)
120/10=12
12 watts.

Your algebra is way off here. If P/(120 V) = 10 A, then to solve for P (i.e. to leave it by itself on one side of the equation), you'd have to get rid of the factor of 1/(120 V) on the left-hand side. To do that, you can multiply both sides of the equation by (120 V).

Last edited:
cepheid said:
Is the voltage of AC mains power [that the hypothetical iron is designed for] really relevant to the problem? .

Certainly is.

If this iron is labelled 10A, 240V then the resistance of the heating element will be 24Ω [when hot]

If this iron is labelled 10A, 120V then the resistance of the heating element will be 12Ω [when hot]

Depending on the voltage label on the iron, the results will be quire different.

The other two questions posted by OP efer to 220V. It is common to consider what happens when a device is connected to an incorrect power supply.
For me, where we use 240V, my devices simply run slowly/inefficiently if the mains electricity is too low. If an American brings something to Australia and connects it, it will simply burn out and perhaps trip the fuse.

PeterO said:
Certainly is.

If this iron is labelled 10A, 240V then the resistance of the heating element will be 24Ω [when hot]

If this iron is labelled 10A, 120V then the resistance of the heating element will be 12Ω [when hot]

Depending on the voltage label on the iron, the results will be quire different.

The other two questions posted by OP efer to 220V. It is common to consider what happens when a device is connected to an incorrect power supply.

Uh huh, maybe, but it seems FAR more likely to me that the question is just asking: a device draws 10 A at 120 V, what is the power?

PeterO said:
For me, where we use 240V, my devices simply run slowly/inefficiently if the mains electricity is too low. If an American brings something to Australia and connects it, it will simply burn out and perhaps trip the fuse.

Yeah, I know that.

Related to Power Consumption: 10 Amps, 120 Volts = 12 Watts

1. What is power consumption?

Power consumption refers to the amount of energy that is used by an electrical device or system in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in units of watts (W) or kilowatts (kW).

2. What does 10 Amps and 120 Volts mean?

10 Amps and 120 Volts are units that are used to measure the amount of electric current (Amps) and the amount of voltage (Volts) being used by the device. In this case, it means that the device is using 10 Amps of electric current at 120 Volts.

3. How is power consumption calculated?

Power consumption can be calculated by multiplying the amount of electric current (in Amps) by the amount of voltage (in Volts). In this case, 10 Amps multiplied by 120 Volts equals 1200 Watts (or 1.2 kilowatts).

4. Is 12 Watts a high or low power consumption?

12 Watts is considered a relatively low power consumption. Most household appliances and electronics use much more power, with an average of around 1000-1500 Watts (1-1.5 kilowatts).

5. How does power consumption affect my electricity bill?

The higher the power consumption, the more energy is being used and therefore the higher the cost will be on your electricity bill. It is important to be mindful of power consumption and try to use energy-efficient devices to save on electricity costs.