Power dissipated in a resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum power dissipated in a 2 Ohms resistor by minimizing the total resistance and the mistake made in finding the derivative using a restriction on R. It is explained that the maximum or minimum can occur at points where the derivative is zero or at end points of the allowed domain. The conversation also provides examples to illustrate this concept.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

resistor.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Power dissipated in the 2 Ohms resistor will be maximum when current is maximum .This will occur when total resistance is minimum .

If I think logically then I do get the right answer . But on trying to arrive at the result mathematically I think I am making some silly mistake .

Total resistance is Z = (10R+16)/(8+R)

For Z to be minimum , dz/dR = 0

Calculations give me a weird result 64 = 0

What is my mistake ?

Attachments

• resistor.png
    resistor.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,117
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
Power dissipated in the 2 Ohms resistor will be maximum when current is maximum .This will occur when total resistance is minimum.
Correct.
Jahnavi said:
Total resistance is Z = (10R+16)/(8+R)
Correct.
Jahnavi said:
For Z to be minimum , dz/dR = 0
But there is another restriction on R: R>=0
Jahnavi said:
Calculations give me a weird result 64 = 0
That's because the minimum (and maximum) Z occurs when R=-8 and the denominator goes to zero.
But the problem does not allow for a negative R.

Your maximum is not a point where the derivative is zero. It is a point at the edge of the allowed range for R (R cannot be negative).

Here is a plot of the current

Likes Jahnavi
.Scott said:
That's because the minimum (and maximum) Z occurs when R=-8 and the denominator goes to zero.

How did you find that ?

Jahnavi said:
How did you find that ?
You have R+8 in the denominator. Solve for R+8=0.

mfb said:
Your maximum is not a point where the derivative is zero.

Are you implying that maximum or minimum can occur either at points where derivative is zero OR at end points of allowed domain ?

.Scott said:
You have R+8 in the denominator. Solve for R+8=0.

Sorry . But that's not how we find maximum/minimum value of an expression .

Jahnavi said:
Sorry . But that's not how we find maximum/minimum value of an expression .
Well. It's how I found it.
The method you used will work for expressions that do not go to infinity - and which have derivatives.
The restrictions are actually more than that - but I think you want to keep the math at the secondary school level.

Jahnavi said:
Are you implying that maximum or minimum can occur either at points where derivative is zero OR at end points of allowed domain ?
Yes. You have an example here.

Another example is the maximum of f(x)=x2 in the range of 0 to 2. Clearly the maximum is at x=2 where the derivative is not zero.

Likes Jahnavi
Jahnavi said:

Yes. Look at the simple example of f(x) = x. The minimum of f(x) on 0 ≤ x ≤ 1 is at x = 0, and the maximum on that interval is at x=1. The derivative = 1 at both of those optimal points.

The theorem you are trying to (mis-)use is that if a differentiable function f(x) has a maximum (or a minimum) at some x in the OPEN interval a < x < b, then the derivative vanishes at x. On a CLOSED interval a ≤ x ≤ b, the derivative = 0 an an interior optimum, but not necessarily at an end-point optimum.

Likes Jahnavi
mfb said:
Yes. You have an example here.

Another example is the maximum of f(x)=x2 in the range of 0 to 2. Clearly the maximum is at x=2 where the derivative is not zero.

Thanks !

What is power dissipation in a resistor?

Power dissipation in a resistor refers to the amount of energy that is converted into heat when an electric current passes through a resistor. It is measured in watts (W) and is determined by the voltage across the resistor and the current flowing through it.

How is power dissipation calculated in a resistor?

The power dissipation in a resistor can be calculated using the formula P = VI, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amperes. Alternatively, it can be calculated using the formula P = I2R, where R is the resistance of the resistor in ohms.

What is the relationship between power dissipation and resistance in a resistor?

The relationship between power dissipation and resistance in a resistor is that the power dissipated is directly proportional to the resistance. This means that as the resistance increases, the power dissipation also increases, and vice versa.

How does power dissipation affect the temperature of a resistor?

Power dissipation in a resistor causes it to heat up, as the energy being converted into heat increases its temperature. The amount of heat generated is directly proportional to the power dissipation, so the higher the power dissipation, the higher the temperature of the resistor.

What factors can affect the power dissipation in a resistor?

The power dissipation in a resistor can be affected by the voltage and current passing through it, as well as the resistance of the resistor itself. Other factors such as ambient temperature and the material the resistor is made of can also affect power dissipation.