Power generated by a coil rotating in magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rotating coil with a constant angular velocity and a static magnetic field, connected to a resistance. Three solutions are presented, with the third being questioned for its accuracy. The first and second solutions involve solving a differential equation and using Faraday's Law, while the third solution involves finding the maximum current and power. The conversation also includes questions about evidence, textbooks, and software for simulating the system.
marino
The problem: a coil of radius r, length l and N turns, rotating with constant angular velocity ω around an axis perpendicular to its simmetric axis and passing for the center of the coil. The coils is submersed in a static magnetic field, intensity B0, perpendicular to the axis of rotation of the coil. The coil is connected to a resistance R. What is the medium power dissipated by resistance?
1st solution: solving a differential equation with the current i(t) unknow I obtain:
$$-\frac{\text{d}}{\text{d}y}(B_0N\pi r^2cos(\omega t)+\frac{\mu_0 N^2 \pi r^2 i(t)}{l})=Ri(t)$$
and then the current:
$$i(t)=\frac{Rl^2 N \pi r^2\omega B_0}{((Rl)^2+(\mu_0 N^2 \pi r^2\omega)^2)^2}sin(\omega t)-\frac{\mu_0 N^3(\pi r^2)^2 \omega^2 B_0 l}{((Rl)^2+(\mu_0 N^2 \pi r^2\omega)^2)^2}cos(\omega t)$$
and medium power P:
$$P=\frac{R}{2} \frac{N^2 (\pi r^2)^2 \omega^2 B_0^2 l^2}{(Rl)^2+(\mu_0 N^2 \pi r^2\omega)^2}$$
2nd solution: a virtual ca generator in series with the coil. The circuit impedance is:
$$Z=R+j\omega L$$
the Faraday-Newman-Lentz applied to the solenoid get the max fem:
$$V= N \pi r^2 \omega B_0 sin(\omega t) $$
and the current max:
$$I=\frac{V}{|Z|}$$
so, the medium power dissipated by resistance:
$$P=\frac{R}{2} I^2=\frac{R}{2} \frac{(N \pi r^2 \omega B_0)^2}{R^2+(\omega L)^2}$$
and, substituting ##L=\frac{\mu_0 N^2\pi r^2}{l}##, I obtain the same than 1st solution
3rd soultion: somewhere in internet you can find:
the Faraday-Newman-Lentz applied to the solenoid get the max fem:
$$V= N \pi r^2 \omega B_0 sin(\omega t) $$
so the max current on the resistor:
$$I=\frac{V}{R}$$
and, then the medium power:
$$P=\frac{R}{2} VI=\frac{R}{2} \frac{(N \pi r^2 \omega B_0)^2}{R^2}$$
The question:
1) have you evidence of this calculation?
2) do you know a textbook for this problem?
3) do you know a software to simulate this system (matlab, pspice, labview, ...)?
thamks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I have never seen that before. For a coil moving through a magnetic field (and vice versa), I think Faraday's Law would be useful to find the EMF and thus the current.

If the coil data meets the attached sketch then
N*π*r^2*ω*Bo*sin(ω*t)+μo*N^2*πr^2/l *di(t)/dt+R*i(t)=0it seems- to me- it is correct if the core is of magnetic material made [it is not an air core].
The general solution it has to be like i(t)=I*sin(ω*t+φ)+Io*e^(-t/T)+Const
T=-R/(μo*N^2*r^2/l)
If t≈∞ then i(t)=I*[sin(ω*t)*cos(φ)+cos(ω*t)*sin(φ)]
The second solution it is better I think.
upload_2019-1-6_8-40-50.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-6_8-40-50.png
    upload_2019-1-6_8-40-50.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 560
I don't think thed length of the coil has anything to do with it.

1. How is power generated by a coil rotating in a magnetic field?

When a coil is rotated in a magnetic field, the magnetic field lines cut across the coil's conductive wires, creating a changing magnetic flux. This changing magnetic flux induces an electric current in the coil, which can then be used to power devices.

2. What factors affect the amount of power generated by a rotating coil in a magnetic field?

The amount of power generated by a rotating coil in a magnetic field depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, the number of turns in the coil, and the resistance of the coil's wires.

3. Can the direction of rotation affect the power generated by a coil in a magnetic field?

Yes, the direction of rotation can affect the power generated by a coil in a magnetic field. If the direction of rotation is reversed, the direction of the induced current will also be reversed, resulting in a change in the direction of the generated power.

4. How is the power generated by a rotating coil in a magnetic field converted into usable electricity?

The power generated by a rotating coil in a magnetic field is typically converted into usable electricity using a generator. The generator consists of a rotor (the rotating coil) and a stator (stationary coils), which work together to convert the mechanical energy of rotation into electrical energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of power generated by a coil rotating in a magnetic field?

The power generated by a coil rotating in a magnetic field is used in various applications, including electric motors, generators, and alternators. It is also used in renewable energy sources such as wind turbines and hydroelectric dams to produce electricity from the mechanical energy of rotation.