Power generated by water flowing over a dam

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power generated by water flowing over a dam. The approach of using P = FV is considered, but it is ultimately determined that calculating power using P = ΔPE/T is the simplest method. The key factors to consider are the head height and mass flow rate of the water going into the turbine, as well as the efficiency of the process.
mlb2358

Homework Statement

The Grand Coulee Dam is 1270 m long and 170 m high. The electrical power output from generators at its base is approximately 2000 MW. How many cubic meters of water must flow
from the top of the dam per second to produce this amount ofpower if 92% of the work done on the water by gravity is converted to electrical energy? (Each cubic meter of water has a mass of 1000 kg.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The main question I have regarding this problem is whether or not one can use P = FV to solve it. If so, is the force equivalent to the mass of the quantity of water that will produce 2000 MW times g? If so would that mean that the velocity is equivalent to the velocity of an object after it has undergone free-fall for 170m? I realize that the problem can be solved by using P = ΔW/Δt, but I am trying to solve it with P = FV so I will better understand the situation.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you could assume the water was in free fall and work out the velocity but is it possible to work out the force F ? I suppose if you knew over what distance the turbine decelerates the water you might calculate the deceleration and hence calculate F from F=ma. However you don't so you would have to fall back on KE = 0.5mV2.

Overall I think calculating power using P = ΔPE/T is the simplest approach

The simple answer to your question is that water flowing over a dam generates no power at all.

But to figure potential power generation, figure power flowing into the turbine from head height and mass flow rate going into the turbine. Then figure power of water flowing out by the flow rate and ambient pressure. Subtract the two and multiply by an assumes efficiency. If you know the actual power output, you can calculate the efficiency.

1. How is power generated by water flowing over a dam?

Power is generated by the potential energy of the water, which is converted into kinetic energy as it flows over the dam. This kinetic energy is then used to turn turbines, which are connected to generators that produce electricity.

2. What is the water flow rate required to generate power over a dam?

The water flow rate required to generate power over a dam varies depending on the size and design of the dam. However, on average, a flow rate of 3,000 cubic feet per second is needed to produce 1 megawatt of electricity.

3. How much electricity can be generated from water flowing over a dam?

The amount of electricity that can be generated from water flowing over a dam depends on the size of the dam, the water flow rate, and the efficiency of the turbines and generators. On average, a large dam can generate enough electricity to power thousands of homes.

4. What are the environmental impacts of power generated by water flowing over a dam?

The environmental impacts of power generated by water flowing over a dam can vary depending on the location and design of the dam. Some potential impacts include changes in water temperature, effects on fish populations, and alteration of downstream ecosystems. However, dams can also provide benefits such as flood control and water storage.

5. Is power generated by water flowing over a dam renewable?

Yes, power generated by water flowing over a dam is considered a renewable energy source. This is because the water cycle continuously replenishes the water in the reservoir behind the dam, allowing for a constant source of energy production. However, the construction and operation of dams can have long-term impacts on the environment and surrounding ecosystems.