Power Line Dangers: Is My RV Safe?

• Thread starter Marah Elisabeth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Power
In summary, the conversation discusses a potentially dangerous situation where a power line is hanging just 4 feet above an RV and there is a nearby stream. The person is concerned about the possibility of getting shocked if the hot line falls on the RV during rain. Suggestions are given for grounding the RV and avoiding contact with the vehicle and ground at the same time. The expert also offers to personally inspect the situation if the person is still worried.
Marah Elisabeth
There is a power line of undetermined voltage hanging just 4 feet above my RV and the stream running next to us. If during the rain, a branch from the redwood tree above us falls and causes the hot line to land on the RV and stay there, is there a way to prevent us being shocked while we try to escape? I am concerned as a limb fell last winter but missed the line. Should I put grounding rods on the four corners in the ground and connect to some copper? Any ideas? Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

That is insufficient clearance, you should move your RV now.
Find out why the power line is so low.

You need to ground the metal chassis of the RV in one place to prevent the vehicle voltage being different to ground. That should cut the power line supply if electrical contact with the RV is made.

If a vehicle might have become live, jump from the vehicle, so you do not contact the vehicle and the ground at the same time.

Likes russ_watters, Lnewqban and berkeman
Marah Elisabeth said:
There is a power line of undetermined voltage hanging just 4 feet above my RV and the stream running next to us. If during the rain, a branch from the redwood tree above us falls and causes the hot line to land on the RV and stay there, is there a way to prevent us being shocked while we try to escape? I am concerned as a limb fell last winter but missed the line. Should I put grounding rods on the four corners in the ground and connect to some copper? Any ideas? Thank you
Welcome to PF. :smile:

Using my Mentor superpowers, I can see that you live about 10 miles from where I live, so I'm very familar with your area. An RV is pretty non-conductive in the first place. Also, I'm not aware of anywhere here locally where the situation you describe exists. It sounds more like there is a cable TV line running above your RV/mobile home, in which case there are no issues (other than aesthetics).

If you are still worried, please just send me a Private Message (PM) with your address, and I'll bike or drive over and have a look.

Have a nice day. :smile:

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970, anorlunda, Tom.G and 4 others

1. What are the potential dangers of power lines near my RV?

Power lines can pose a risk to RVs if they are too close or if they are damaged. The main danger is the risk of electrocution if a person or object comes into contact with the power lines. Additionally, power lines can also cause fires if they are damaged and come into contact with flammable materials on the RV.

2. How close is too close for RVs to be parked near power lines?

The exact distance for safe parking near power lines can vary depending on the voltage of the lines and the height of the RV. However, as a general rule, it is recommended to stay at least 10 feet away from power lines to reduce the risk of electrocution. It is best to consult with a professional electrician for specific recommendations.

3. What should I do if I notice damaged power lines near my RV?

If you notice damaged power lines near your RV, it is important to take immediate action. First, safely move yourself and others away from the area. Then, contact the local power company to report the issue. Do not attempt to fix or move the power lines yourself as this can be extremely dangerous.

4. Can power lines affect the electrical systems in my RV?

Yes, power lines can potentially cause issues with the electrical systems in an RV. If the power lines are damaged or if there is a power surge, it can cause damage to the RV's electrical components. It is important to have a surge protector installed on your RV to help prevent any damage from power line disturbances.

5. Are there any precautions I can take to make my RV safer near power lines?

Yes, there are several precautions you can take to make your RV safer near power lines. First, always be aware of your surroundings and avoid parking too close to power lines. Additionally, consider installing a surge protector and regularly inspecting your RV's electrical system for any potential issues. It is also important to educate yourself and others on the dangers of power lines and how to safely navigate around them.