Modelling eddy currents in a pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with Eddie currents and how to simulate it numerically. The use of Faraday's law is necessary, but there are concerns about having too many variables and how to find the retarding force. One approach suggested is to start with a circular loop instead of a disk and consider the loop going into the field region in a straight line before extending to the arc of a pendulum.
FabusMarco
Hello,
I was solving a problem related to Eddie currents recently and I need some help with simulating it numerically. Basically, we have a disc-like copper pendulum entering a region of uniform magnetic flux density B (see diagram). I understand that I need to use Faraday's law:
[tex] \nabla \times \vec{E} = - \frac {\partial{\vec B}} {\partial t}, [/tex]
but even if I assume B is in the z-direction and E is in the x-y plane, I am left with
[tex] \frac {\partial{E_y}} {\partial x} - \frac {\partial{E_x}} {\partial y} = - \frac {\partial{B}} {\partial t}. [/tex]
Once I have E, I can find J and subsequently the current induced. However, do I not have too many variables? And how could I then find the retarding force, given that it depends on things like the velocity of moving charges?

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Diagram:
17887639_1382459645174041_1954335255_o.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were attacking this problem, I would not use a top-down approach. Instead of a disk, I would start with a circular loop; once I understand the loop, I can integrate loops to get the disk. Also, I would first consider the loop going into the field region in a straight line; once I understand that, I can extend to the arc of a pendulum.

kuruman said:
If I were attacking this problem, I would not use a top-down approach. Instead of a disk, I would start with a circular loop; once I understand the loop, I can integrate loops to get the disk. Also, I would first consider the loop going into the field region in a straight line; once I understand that, I can extend to the arc of a pendulum.
Thanks for the idea, I'll try it out!

1. What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are swirling currents induced in a conductor when it is placed in a changing magnetic field. They are caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the electrons in the conductor.

2. Why do eddy currents occur in a pendulum?

Eddy currents occur in a pendulum because the swinging motion of the pendulum creates a changing magnetic field as it moves through the Earth's magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces eddy currents in the conductive material of the pendulum.

3. How do eddy currents affect the motion of a pendulum?

Eddy currents can cause a resistance force on the pendulum, slowing down its motion. This can lead to a decrease in the amplitude and period of the pendulum's swing over time.

4. How can eddy currents be modelled in a pendulum?

Eddy currents can be modelled using mathematical equations that describe the relationship between the magnetic field, the conductive material, and the resulting eddy currents. These equations can be solved using numerical methods and computer simulations to predict the behavior of the pendulum.

5. What are some real-life applications of modelling eddy currents in a pendulum?

Modelling eddy currents in pendulums can be useful in many industries, such as electrical engineering, where it can be used to design and optimize the performance of motors and generators. It can also be applied in the field of non-destructive testing, where eddy currents are used to detect flaws or defects in conductive materials.