Power of a Jet Engine: 1.5 * 10^9 Nm/s

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the power developed by a jet engine that has a thrust of 1 * 10^5 N and is moving an airplane forward at a speed of 900 km/h. The formula used is P = Fvcosθ, but there was a mistake in converting the speed to m/s. After correcting the calculation, the power is found to be 250,000 W or 25 MW.
Dark Visitor
A jet engine develops 1 * 10^5 n of thrust in moving the airplane forward at a speed of 900 km/h. What is the power developed by the engine?

I thought I needed to convert 900 km/h to m/s, so I did and I got 15000 m/s.

The only equation I see to use for this is:

P = Fvcosθ

When I used the equation, I got:

P = Fv
= (1*105)(15000 m/s)
= 1.5 * 109

I know I went wrong somewhere because it is multiple choice and that wasn't any of the answers. Please help me see my error(s) and help me get it right. I need this done a.s.a.p. by tomorrow. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
900 km/h to m/s, so I did and I got 15000 m/s.

How many seconds are there in one hour?

900km/hr= 900000m/s divide by 3600 sec/hr and you get what?
Edit: sorry rootx, missed your response.

My mistake. I completely missed that.

900000 m/h /3600 s = 250 m/s

And then I multiply that by the thing I had before:

P = Fv
= (1 * 105 N)(250 m/s)
= 250000 W
= 25 MW

Thanks guys. I got too much going on in my mind right now. :redface:

Related to Power of a Jet Engine: 1.5 * 10^9 Nm/s

1. What is the power output of a jet engine at 1.5 * 10^9 Nm/s?

The power output of a jet engine at 1.5 * 10^9 Nm/s is 1.5 billion Newton-meters per second. This is a measure of the rate at which the engine can do work or produce energy.

2. How does the power of a jet engine affect its speed?

The power of a jet engine is directly related to its speed. As the power output increases, so does the speed of the engine, leading to faster movement of the aircraft.

3. Can the power of a jet engine be increased?

Yes, the power of a jet engine can be increased through various methods such as increasing the fuel flow rate, improving the compression ratio, or introducing afterburners. However, these modifications may also have an impact on the engine's efficiency and lifespan.

4. How does the power of a jet engine compare to other types of engines?

The power output of a jet engine is significantly higher than most other types of engines, such as piston engines or electric motors. This is due to the high speed and force produced by the rapid combustion of fuel in the engine.

5. Is the power of a jet engine the only factor that determines its performance?

No, the power of a jet engine is just one of many factors that contribute to its overall performance. Other important factors include the engine's design, weight, and efficiency, as well as external factors like air temperature and pressure.