Power output and sound intensity

dylanwalt
Homework Statement
At a distance of 2.5m from your stereo system with two speakers, the intensity level is 78 dB. Assume that all the energy from the amplifier goes into producing sound. What power output does your stereo have?
Relevant Equations
B=10log I/Ith
In the picture below
sideways speakers 01.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you change ##4\pi r^2## to ##\pi r^2##?

We're assuming the two speakers are point sources that share the same location?

Likes haruspex
Mister T said:
We're assuming the two speakers are point sources that share the same location?
Good point. More likely, the speakers are 2.5m either side of the listener.

Likes Mister T
haruspex said:
Why did you change ##4\pi r^2## to ##\pi r^2##?
I was not sure if the question was in 2d hence pi*r*r or 3d 4*pi*r*r.

haruspex said:
Good point. More likely, the speakers are 2.5m either side of the listener.
I’m not 100% sure it is a vague question. I assumed they were in the same speaker housing maybe one was bass and one treble etcetera.

dylanwalt said:
We do not live in Flatland.
dylanwalt said:
I’m not 100% sure it is a vague question. I assumed they were in the same speaker housing maybe one was bass and one treble etcetera.
It mentions specifically "two speakers", and stereo systems are not just a matter of separate woofers and tweeters; typically, a stereo system has two speaker housings, each containing a tweeter and a woofer.
The separation of stereo speakers would commonly be around 2.5m, suggesting an equilateral triangle arrangement.
However, it's not clear to me how that would affect the answer, so just take it as a point source.

haruspex said:
The separation of stereo speakers would commonly be around 2.5m, suggesting an equilateral triangle arrangement.
However, it's not clear to me how that would affect the answer, so just take it as a point source.
Yeah, this is a very confusing problem statement.

haruspex said:
We do not live in Flatland.
LOL. :smile:

dylanwalt said:
Please check your Private Messages (PMs) in a minute or two. I will send you some tips for learning and using LaTeX to post math equations at PF. :wink:

Speaker cabinets contain at least one driver, like say a woofer and a tweeter. By their very design they are not point sources. In my opinion that's the most unrealistic feature of the problem statement.

1. What is power output and how is it measured?

Power output refers to the rate at which energy is transferred or converted. It is typically measured in watts (W) and can be calculated by multiplying the voltage by the current. In terms of sound, power output is the amount of energy that is transferred from a sound source per unit of time.

2. How is sound intensity related to power output?

Sound intensity is a measure of the amount of sound energy that passes through a certain area per unit of time. It is directly related to power output, as an increase in power output will result in a corresponding increase in sound intensity. This means that the louder the sound, the higher the power output.

3. What factors affect power output and sound intensity?

Several factors can affect power output and sound intensity, including the distance from the sound source, the size and type of the sound source, and the medium through which the sound travels. Additionally, the frequency and amplitude of the sound waves can also impact power output and sound intensity.

4. How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is typically measured using a decibel (dB) scale. This scale is logarithmic, meaning that a small change in decibel level represents a large change in sound intensity. Sound intensity can be measured using specialized equipment such as a sound level meter or a microphone connected to a computer.

5. How does power output and sound intensity affect human hearing?

Exposure to high levels of power output and sound intensity can be damaging to human hearing. Prolonged exposure to loud sounds can lead to hearing loss and other auditory problems. It is important to use protective measures, such as earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones, when exposed to high levels of power output and sound intensity.