Power related to the EMF of an adjustable coil in a magnetic field

In summary, the person is stuck on how to approach this problem and is looking for help. They have found an equation that they think will help them, but they are missing something.
garthenar
Homework Statement
You have designed a new type of exercise machine with an extremely simple mechanism (Figure 1). A vertical bar of silver (chosen for its low resistivity and because it makes the machine look cool) with length 3.0 m is free to move left or right without friction on silver rails. The entire apparatus is placed in a horizontal uniform magnetic field of strength 0.25 T. When you push the bar to the left or right, the bar's motion sets up a current in the circuit that includes the bar. The resistance of the bar and the rails can be neglected. The magnetic field exerts a force on the current-carrying bar, and this force opposes the bar's motion. The health benefit is from the exercise that you do in working against this force.

A) Your design goal is that the person doing the exercise is to do work at the rate of 25 watts when moving the bar at a steady 2.0 m/s. What should be the resistance R?
Express your answer using two significant figures.

B) You decide you want to be able to vary the power required from the person, to adapt the machine to the person's strength and fitness. If the power is to be increased to 50 W by altering R while leaving the other design parameters constant, should R be increased or decreased?

C) You decide you want to be able to vary the power required from the person, to adapt the machine to the person's strength and fitness. If the power is to be increased to 50 W by altering R while leaving the other design parameters constant. Calculate the value of R for 50 W

D) When you start to construct a prototype machine, you find it is difficult to produce a 0.25-T magnetic field over such a large area. If you decrease the length of the bar to 0.20 m while leaving B, v, and R the same as in part A, what will be the power required of the person?
Relevant Equations
P=VI

V=Emf =(d(ΦB))/dt

W=F*d
I'm already stuck on A. I'm hoping once I figure that out the rest will just fall into place but be prepared for this to take awhile.

I understand how to use Faraday's law to get the current or voltage of the system based off the movement of the bar but I have no Idea how to relate the rate of work, or work into the mix.

I'm used to work being force times distance. Then would power be... I can't figure out how to relate velocity into the mix either...

if V=ds/dt and we have a "rate of 25W" which I'm assuming is 25[W]/s and P=dWrk/dt = Fs/t = ... I have no Idea

My work is just nonsensens like that over and over, and is a total mess so I have not included it.
What I need right now is for someone to help me figure out how to approach this scenario. What am I missing?
And no, I could not find a similar problem or example in the textbook.

Attachments

• fig29.90.PNG
    fig29.90.PNG
    6.3 KB · Views: 179
Physics news on Phys.org
What has your question to do with the title of your post?

Likes DEvens
So you have an equation that gives you voltage as the time derivative of flux. So how much flux is getting moved from one side of the bar to the other each second? Remember what the T means in the definition of flux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(unit)
Then you have a voltage. And you have a desired power for that to produce. What resistance does that voltage have to be going through to get that power?

mjc123 said:
What has your question to do with the title of your post?
Sleep deprivation. I'll see if I can fix it.

DEvens said:
So you have an equation that gives you voltage as the time derivative of flux. So how much flux is getting moved from one side of the bar to the other each second? Remember what the T means in the definition of flux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_(unit)
Then you have a voltage. And you have a desired power for that to produce. What resistance does that voltage have to be going through to get that power?
Thank you, Once I realized that I would taking the derivative of (2[m/s])t in the Emf equation everything fell together.

Related to Power related to the EMF of an adjustable coil in a magnetic field

1. What is the purpose of adjusting a coil in a magnetic field?

The purpose of adjusting a coil in a magnetic field is to manipulate the flow of electricity through the coil and create an electromagnetic field. This can be used for a variety of applications, such as generating power, creating a magnetic field for scientific experiments, or transmitting information through electromagnetic waves.

2. How does the power of an adjustable coil change in a magnetic field?

The power of an adjustable coil in a magnetic field can change in several ways. The strength of the magnetic field can affect the amount of power generated by the coil, as well as the direction of the current flow. Additionally, the number of turns in the coil, the material of the coil, and the frequency of the magnetic field can all impact the power output.

3. Are there any safety concerns related to the EMF of an adjustable coil in a magnetic field?

Yes, there can be safety concerns related to the EMF (electromagnetic field) of an adjustable coil in a magnetic field. High levels of EMF exposure can potentially cause health issues, so it is important to take precautions when working with adjustable coils in strong magnetic fields. This may include using protective gear and limiting exposure time.

4. How can the EMF of an adjustable coil be measured?

The EMF of an adjustable coil can be measured using an EMF meter, which detects and measures electromagnetic fields. This device can provide information on the strength and frequency of the EMF emitted by the coil. It is important to use proper calibration and techniques when measuring EMF to ensure accurate results.

5. What are some real-world applications of adjustable coils in magnetic fields?

Adjustable coils in magnetic fields have many real-world applications. They are commonly used in generators to produce electricity, in motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, and in transformers to change the voltage of an electrical current. They are also used in various scientific and medical equipment, such as MRI machines, to create and control magnetic fields for specific purposes.