Powering a small fan with solar panels

In summary, to power a duct booster fan using solar panels, you would need to find out the required voltage and add enough solar cells in series to reach that voltage. However, since the fan requires 110 volts AC, it would be a complex project and it would be easier to run it off house power with the help of an electrician.
handychick
I would like to power a duct booster fan (which I believe uses little energy) using solar panels. The store website says the fan runs at .35 Amps.

The solar panel would get direct sunlight for about 3 hours a day and indirect sunlight the rest of the day. I would like the fan to run at least all day, but overnight too would be wonderful!

What kind of solar panel/capacitor rig would I need to set up for this?

This is the fan I'd like to get.

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I5532220/name/fan_booster_duct_6

Thanks for the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
handychick said:
I would like to power a duct booster fan (which I believe uses little energy) using solar panels. The store website says the fan runs at .35 Amps.

The solar panel would get direct sunlight for about 3 hours a day and indirect sunlight the rest of the day. I would like the fan to run at least all day, but overnight too would be wonderful!

What kind of solar panel/capacitor rig would I need to set up for this?

This is the fan I'd like to get.

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I5532220/name/fan_booster_duct_6

Just to kick things off: I think the simplest possible solution would be to find out what voltage the fan requires, and then add enough solar cells in series until their open-circuit voltage adds up to about 110% of the fan voltage. Simply hooking up your fan to your series string of solar cells would clamp the panel voltage close to it's maximum power point. You'd probably need to add more than one string of cells though, to increase the current throughput to match the 0.36A of the fan. Maybe some protection diodes between each series strings and fan would be a good idea.

EDIT: Re:the panels getting clamped at the fan voltage, I'm not sure this is true. I was thinking of a battery for running the fan at night, but apparently couldn't keep the two thoughts separated. Maybe someone can correct this if it's wrong.

Last edited:
Looks like that fan is 110 volts AC and it does draw 0.35 amps at that voltage.

http://www.espenergy.com/6_inline_duct_fan.htm

So, it would not be a simple project to do this. You would need a large solar array and an inverter to run this fan.

You could easily run it off your house power though, provided you get an electrician to wire it up for you.

1. How many solar panels do I need to power a small fan?

The number of solar panels needed to power a small fan depends on the wattage of the fan and the efficiency of the solar panels. On average, a 10-watt fan can be powered by a 20-watt solar panel. It is recommended to have at least a 1:2 ratio of solar panels to fan wattage for optimal performance.

2. Can I use any type of solar panel to power a small fan?

Yes, you can use any type of solar panel to power a small fan as long as the panel produces enough voltage and wattage to meet the fan's requirements. However, for portable applications, it is recommended to use flexible and lightweight solar panels.

3. How do I connect the solar panels to the small fan?

To connect the solar panels to the small fan, you will need a charge controller and a battery. The charge controller regulates the flow of electricity from the solar panels to the battery, and the battery stores the energy for later use. The fan can then be connected to the battery for power.

4. Can I use the solar-powered fan at night?

If the fan is connected to a battery, it can be used at night. The battery stores the energy generated by the solar panels during the day, which can then be used to power the fan at night. However, the fan may not run as long as it would during the day, as the battery will have a limited capacity.

5. Are there any maintenance requirements for a solar-powered fan?

Solar-powered fans do not have any specific maintenance requirements. However, it is important to regularly clean the solar panels to ensure maximum efficiency. Additionally, check the connections and wiring periodically to ensure they are secure and functioning properly.