Powerline electrolysis hydrogen production

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using the current from powerlines, specifically HVDC transmission lines, to produce hydrogen through electrolysis. It is suggested that this could potentially eliminate the need for a separate power supply for electrolysis, but it is ultimately determined that this is not feasible due to the complexity and cost of implementing such a system. Furthermore, it is noted that industrial scale electrolysers are more efficient and using the current from powerlines would not significantly improve efficiency. The conversation also briefly touches on the idea of using hydrogen as an energy storage solution for renewables.
artis
Hydrogen production consumes a lot of energy because one is running current through water in order to produce hydrogen.
Why can't we use current that already runs in powerlines for example like HVDC and create a series electrolysis apparatus.

Water electrolysis needs a minimum voltage difference of about 1.5 volts, so in theory making the HVDC + wire instead a hollow pipe conductor with water in the middle would generate such a voltage drop across some distance of wire easily. So could we in theory have a HVDC transmission line that is also a electrolysis system producing hydrogen along the way.

The current runs in the line nevertheless why not use some of it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Because a series electrolysis cell would consume power and drop the line voltage for all consumers. The electrolysis cell would have to operate at the varying current used by the consumers.
Electrolysis is inefficient.

Likes Klystron and russ_watters
NO free lunch.

Likes russ_watters
Bystander said:
NO free lunch.
I never meant it would be free lunch , all I was implying is that it seems to be more efficient to use current meant for other loads to produce hydrogen through electrolysis than to simply additionally use a power supply to do so , but this is more of a theory question as practically I can understand creaing the infrastructure for this would be far costlier than to do it at a specific location.

I read this has been proposed as possible energy "battery" for renewables as hydrogen can be stored easily and used upon need.

artis said:
all I was implying is that it seems to be more efficient to use current meant for other loads to
That would be a free lunch. Using the current without affecting the efficiency of the power grid.

Likes Vanadium 50
artis said:
current meant for other loads
Basically you are saying that putting a load consisting of electrolytic cells in series with other loads will make it miraculously disappear.

artis said:
but this is more of a theory question
Yes and you are confused. By your logic we could just turn the voltage down at the power station and save energy. Power is volts times current and
there is indeed no free lunch.
I once had a boss who was convinced that we could double the battery life of our product by putting the two batteries in parallel instead of series. He was exceptional shall we say.

hutchphd said:
I once had a boss who was convinced that we could double the battery life of our product by putting the two batteries in parallel instead of series.
I bet he's the CEO now!

Likes hutchphd
ahh forget it folks, my idea wasn't free lunch I mean judging by my answers here in other posts I should know better than to think that one can produce electrolysis without power consumption.

artis said:
So could we in theory have a HVDC transmission line that is also a electrolysis system producing hydrogen along the way.
Yes. But what advantage is there in the generation of mixed H2 and O2 distributed over the grid. How could the gasses be separated and bulked up for transport to a site where it might be used to regenerate electrical energy, or to fuel vehicles?

If I take it right, the idea would be about eliminating the conversion loss (power supply loss of feeding the electrolyser) through utilising the current on a transmission DC-link?

I don't think it would be a good idea to mix functions, but more importantly: industrial scale electrolysers are stacks, not cells: with input voltage up to few hundred volts => likely 90+% conversion efficiency. So not much to gain there, for the price of messing up a (really) high voltage DC environment.

Last edited:
Rive said:
If I take it right, the idea would be about eliminating the conversion loss (power supply loss of feeding the electrolyser) through utilising the current on a transmission DC-link?
Yes that was the idea but as I said myself and you including it's not feasible.

1. What is powerline electrolysis hydrogen production?

Powerline electrolysis hydrogen production is a process that uses electricity from power lines to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen. This is done through the use of an electrolyzer, which separates the hydrogen and oxygen atoms using an electric current.

2. How does powerline electrolysis hydrogen production work?

The process of powerline electrolysis hydrogen production involves passing an electric current through water, which causes the water molecules to split into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen is then collected and stored for use as a clean and renewable energy source.

3. What are the benefits of powerline electrolysis hydrogen production?

Powerline electrolysis hydrogen production has several benefits, including the use of clean and renewable energy, the ability to store and transport hydrogen easily, and the potential to reduce carbon emissions and combat climate change.

4. What are the challenges of powerline electrolysis hydrogen production?

One of the main challenges of powerline electrolysis hydrogen production is the high energy input required for the process. This can make it more expensive compared to other methods of hydrogen production. Additionally, there is currently a lack of infrastructure for storing and transporting hydrogen, which can limit its widespread use.

5. How is powerline electrolysis hydrogen production being used in the real world?

Powerline electrolysis hydrogen production is being used in various industries, including transportation, energy production, and manufacturing. It is also being explored as a potential solution for storing excess renewable energy, as hydrogen can be used to generate electricity when needed. However, its use is still limited and further research and development are needed to make it a more viable and cost-effective option.