Practical Applications of Magnetic Monopoles: Possibilities and Limitations

• Thread starter maine75man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Practical
In summary, the conversation is about the existence and potential uses of magnetic monopoles. The participants discuss the current understanding of monopoles, the possibility of creating or harvesting them, and the implications for larger theories. They also mention a paper about a potential discovery of a monopole-like behavior in the spin-ice system. The conversation ends with a request for a link to the paper for further discussion.
maine75man
I'm not a professional in any scientific field just an avid consumer of popular science writing. I ran into a mention of magnetic monopoles awhile back and have been trying to dig up the answer to a few questions. Thus far I have failed so I decided to ask here.

OK I understand magnetic monopoles are still in the 'Could/should exist but we haven't found them yet.' category. I also understand that if they are discovered they will confirm certain ideas of some larger theories.

What I'm wondering first is there any idea what sort of matter could be a monopole. Would they be limited to subatomic particles or could there be elements or compounds that are made up of monopoles

Second if monopoles are discovered and they can be created/harvested in "useful" quantities, what practical uses could we find for them?

Physics news on Phys.org
maine75man said:
OK I understand magnetic monopoles are still in the 'Could/should exist but we haven't found them yet.' category.

No, they are in the "we have no evidence for any of them, no good reason for them to be there, and would be very surprised if we found them" category.

Vanadium 50 said:
No, they are in the "we have no evidence for any of them, no good reason for them to be there, and would be very surprised if we found them" category.

Well, maybe. There is evidence of Dirac strings in condensed matter, that indirectly implies (magnetic) monopole fields.

No, it doesn't. Not in the slightest. The fact that you get behavior that has quasiparticles that share properties with fundmental monopoles without fundamental monopoles does not imply that there are fundamental monopoles.

Vanadium 50 said:
No, it doesn't. Not in the slightest. The fact that you get behavior that has quasiparticles that share properties with fundmental monopoles without fundamental monopoles does not imply that there are fundamental monopoles.

I don't know what your definition of a "fundemental monopole" is. However, the interesting requirement of this experiment is that background space cannot be the vacuum. The same is true of quark fields that cannot be separated from other quarks. This observation blurs the line of distinction unless we are willing to say that quark fields are not fundemental.

Phrak said:
I don't know what your definition of a "fundemental monopole" is. However, the interesting requirement of this experiment is that background space cannot be the vacuum. The same is true of quark fields that cannot be separated from other quarks. This observation blurs the line of distinction unless we are willing to say that quark fields are not fundemental.

I'm not sure what your explanation has anything to do with what Vanadium has said.

If you are referring to the apparent discovery of "magnetic monopole" in the spin-ice system, then you need to look at it again! It is not THE monopole as what one would expect in a Standard Model-type GUT-type particle. It is analogous to a monopole in the sense that the flaw in the magnetic moment tetrahedral arrangement mimics a monopole.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm not sure what your explanation has anything to do with what Vanadium has said.

If you are referring to the apparent discovery of "magnetic monopole" in the spin-ice system, then you need to look at it again! It is not THE monopole as what one would expect in a Standard Model-type GUT-type particle. It is analogous to a monopole in the sense that the flaw in the magnetic moment tetrahedral arrangement mimics a monopole.

Zz.

Ok, so in your mind, monopoles are only real if they also exist in the background space of the vacuum.

Phrak said:
Ok, so in your mind, monopoles are only real if they also exist in the background space of the vacuum.

What is with this "real" stuff? Where did I make such a claim?

This "monople" is "real", as real as quasiparticles! But it is NOT THE monopole that is within most GUT-type description! Read the paper!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
What is with this "real" stuff? Where did I make such a claim?

This "monople" is "real", as real as quasiparticles! But it is NOT THE monopole that is within most GUT-type description! Read the paper!

Zz.

OK, I get it, already. Spin ice indicators via measurements of alleged Dirac strings are not really monopoles because they are not GUT monopoles.

Provide an *accessable* link to this paper and we'll hash it out.

1. What are monopoles and how are they different from traditional magnets?

Monopoles are hypothetical particles that have a single magnetic pole, either north or south, unlike traditional magnets which have both poles. This means that monopoles would exist as individual particles, while magnets always exist as dipoles.

2. Are monopoles purely theoretical or have they been observed in nature?

Monopoles have never been observed in nature, but their existence is predicted by certain theories, such as Grand Unified Theory and Quantum Chromodynamics. Some experiments have also shown promising results that could suggest the presence of monopoles, but further research is needed.

3. How can monopoles be applied in practical uses?

Monopoles have the potential to revolutionize various industries, such as energy, medicine, and technology. They could be used in more efficient electric motors, particle accelerators, and in targeted drug delivery systems. Monopoles could also play a crucial role in quantum computing and data storage.

4. What are the challenges in harnessing the power of monopoles?

One of the main challenges in using monopoles is their rarity and difficulty in creating or finding them. Another challenge is their stability, as monopoles would need to be isolated to prevent them from annihilating with their corresponding antiparticle. Additionally, the technology to manipulate and control monopoles is still in its early stages of development.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the practical use of monopoles?

As with any new technology, there may be ethical concerns surrounding the use of monopoles. These could include the potential for misuse or unintended consequences, as well as the impact on traditional industries and employment. It is important for thorough research and regulation to be in place before widespread implementation of monopoles in practical applications.