Books on Practical Laser Applications: A Guide for Spectroscopy Enthusiasts

In summary, The person is looking for good books about lasers from a practical and experimental perspective. They want to understand when to use different types of lasers in different experimental situations, specifically in the field of atomic and molecular spectroscopy. They are interested in seeing actual experiments where a certain laser was used, rather than just theoretical concepts. A recommended book is "Laser Spectroscopy" by Demtröder.
BillKet
Hello! Can someone point me towards some good books about laser from a practical/experimental perspective (maybe even a review paper). Most books I found spend a lot of time going through derivations and theoretical concepts. I would like to go deeper into that, too, at a point, but for now I would like to know a bit more about when to use which laser and why in different experimental situations. I am mainly interested in atomic/molecular spectroscopy and I would like to understand better why do they use a given laser in given circumstances (e.g. why use a pulse vs a CW laser, how to scan the frequency of a laser, what is the best way to produce pulsed from CW for a given type of laser). It would be great if you can tell be about some books/papers in which they present actual experiments in which they used a certain laser, not just abstract concepts (which is what most books I found do). Thank you!

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org

1. What are the best practical books about lasers for beginners?

Some popular books for beginners include "Understanding Lasers: An Entry-Level Guide" by Jeff Hecht and "Laser Fundamentals" by William T. Silfvast.

2. Are there any practical books about lasers for specific applications?

Yes, there are many books that focus on specific applications of lasers, such as "Laser Processing of Engineering Materials" by John Ion and "Biomedical Photonics Handbook" by Tuan Vo-Dinh.

3. Can you recommend a practical book about the physics of lasers?

"Lasers" by Anthony E. Siegman is a highly recommended book for understanding the physics of lasers. It covers topics such as laser resonators, amplifiers, and nonlinear optics.

4. Are there any practical books about the safety of lasers?

Yes, "Laser Safety: Tools and Training" by Ken Barat is a comprehensive guide to laser safety practices and regulations. It covers topics such as hazard analysis, protective equipment, and safety procedures.

5. Are there any online resources for practical information about lasers?

Yes, there are many websites and online resources that provide practical information about lasers, such as LaserFocusWorld.com, Photonics.com, and the Laser Institute of America's website. Additionally, many scientific journals and publications also have online resources for laser-related topics.