Practical Organic Chemistry - Confirm positive test

In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on whether the compound 2-Hydroxy-5-nitrobenzaldehyde will give a positive test and effervescence of CO2 when reacted with NaHCO3. They provide a structure of the compound and mention that they know 2,4-Dinitrophenol will give effervescence with NaHCO3. They also ask if the same phenomenon will occur due to the presence of a nitro and aldehyde group. The expert summary is that slight effervescence should occur because the hydroxyl proton is slightly acidic. The individual expresses gratitude for the help and declares the question resolved.
AGNuke
Gold Member
I don't know where to ask this question, but anyways, since it was asked in an exam, so finding out the correct answer afterwards is a moral responsibility as a homework. So here I am.

My question is whether the compound 2-Hydroxy-5-nitrobenzaldehyde (Did I named correctly?) gives positive test with NaHCO3? I mean, will it give effervescence of CO2?

[PLAIN]http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/medium/structureimages/37/mfcd00007337.png

All I know is 2,4-Dinitrophenol will give effervescence with NaHCO3 as H in OH becomes acidic. So the same phenomena will happen here on OH's H because of Nitro and aldehyde group?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
AGNuke said:
I don't know where to ask this question, but anyways, since it was asked in an exam, so finding out the correct answer afterwards is a moral responsibility as a homework. So here I am.

My question is whether the compound 2-Hydroxy-5-nitrobenzaldehyde (Did I named correctly?) gives positive test with NaHCO3? I mean, will it give effervescence of CO2?

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/medium/structureimages/37/mfcd00007337.png

All I know is 2,4-Dinitrophenol will give effervescence with NaHCO3 as H in OH becomes acidic. So the same phenomena will happen here on OH's H because of Nitro and aldehyde group?

Yes slight effervesence should occur because the hydroxyl proton is slightly acidic

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help.

Question Resolved! :smile:

1. What is the purpose of conducting a positive test in practical organic chemistry?

The purpose of conducting a positive test is to confirm the presence of a specific functional group or compound in a given organic substance. This helps in identifying and characterizing the substance, which is crucial in determining its properties and potential reactions.

2. How do you perform a positive test in practical organic chemistry?

To perform a positive test, you will need to first prepare a sample of the organic substance and then add a specific reagent or solution that is known to react with the functional group or compound you are testing for. The presence of a positive reaction, such as color change or formation of a precipitate, indicates the presence of the desired compound.

3. What are some common reagents used for positive tests in practical organic chemistry?

Some common reagents used for positive tests in practical organic chemistry include Benedict's solution for testing for reducing sugars, Biuret reagent for testing for proteins, and Tollens' reagent for testing for aldehydes. There are also various specific reagents for testing for different functional groups, such as Fehling's solution for alcohols and Lucas reagent for halides.

4. Can a positive test result be used to definitively identify a compound?

A positive test result can provide strong evidence for the presence of a specific compound, but it cannot be used as the sole method of identification. Other tests and techniques, such as melting point determination and spectroscopy, are necessary to accurately identify a compound.

5. Are there any limitations to using positive tests in practical organic chemistry?

Yes, there are limitations to using positive tests in practical organic chemistry. These tests can only detect the presence of specific functional groups or compounds, and they may not be able to identify all possible substances present in a mixture. Additionally, some compounds may give false positive results, leading to incorrect conclusions.