Precipitation of Metal Chlorides

In summary, the student is trying to determine which dissolves in a warmed solution. He is stuck because he does not know which ions are soluble and which are insoluble. He turns to Google to find information about solubility. He finds a website about qualitative and quantitative analysis and learns that Ag+, Hg2+, and Pb2+ are the only ions that precipitate when adding dilute HCl. He then determines qualitatively which dissolves in a warmed solution by knowing that PbCl2 is soluble in warm water.
Teemo

Homework Statement

A colorless solution is known to contain one of these ions. Which ion is present if adding dilute HCl produces a white precipitate that dissolves when the solution is warmed?

A) Ag+
B) Cu2+
C) Hg22+
D) Pb2+

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The only one I could really rule out was copper chloride, as it is soluble. I'm stuck because I know that AgCl, Hg2Cl2, and PbCl2 are all white precipitates. Without using a chart, how can I determine qualitatively which dissolves in a warmed solution? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Teemo said:

Homework Statement

A colorless solution is known to contain one of these ions. Which ion is present if adding dilute HCl produces a white precipitate that dissolves when the solution is warmed?

A) Ag+
B) Cu2+
C) Hg22+
D) Pb2+

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

The only one I could really rule out was copper chloride, as it is soluble. I'm stuck because I know that AgCl, Hg2Cl2, and PbCl2 are all white precipitates. Without using a chart, how can I determine qualitatively which dissolves in a warmed solution? Thank you in advance.

I'd say there is know way of knowing this except just knowing it.

There are a few facts about solubility you really should know. Most nitrates soluble, AgCl, BaSO4 outstandingly insoluble. I remember those two from seeing so often in qualitative chemistry demonstrations and experiments. In practical 'qualitative analysis'. And quantitative analysis - which depends on their extreme insolubility. And then do you know about barium enemas? All knowledge hooks like that help.

So if I were answering the question I would have answered Ag+ as they imply only one answer is right. :biggrin:

I have an almost totally washed out memory of the other two dissolving slightly when heated. But it is not exactly a piece of knowledge I ever used every day.

I have an even fadeder memory of something about lead pipes being used for drinking water (which is slightly acid) since the time of the Romans (a few of whom lived till 50 and even longer) but that there were problems when running hot water was invented, or when some lead was used in metal cooking pots. That may not be true but it helps remember.

You can find stuff by google.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~jpbirk/qual/qualanal/lead.html

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaWdhxlvEAE

I don't know if you've studied Qualitative Inorganic Analysis yet, but the ions which get precipitated but dil. HCl are called Group I ion, which are Ag+, Hg2+, and Pb2+. Upon adding the reagent they precipitate as chlorides. SInce they gave that the precipitate dissolves when the solution is warm it indicated that the chloride is PbCl2, as it has an interesting (and important!) property that it is soluble in warm water. So the answer is D

Sorry I had
misread or something, my answer was if it does not dissolve when heated.

1. What is precipitation of metal chlorides?

Precipitation of metal chlorides is a chemical process in which a solid metal chloride compound is formed from a solution containing metal ions and chloride ions. This process is commonly used in the purification and separation of metal ions from solutions.

2. How is precipitation of metal chlorides used in scientific research?

Precipitation of metal chlorides is commonly used in scientific research to isolate and purify metal ions from solutions. This allows for further analysis and study of the metal ions, such as their properties and reactivity. It is also used in the production of various chemicals and materials.

3. What factors influence the precipitation of metal chlorides?

The precipitation of metal chlorides can be influenced by several factors, including the concentration of metal and chloride ions in the solution, temperature, pH, and the presence of other substances that may interact with the metal ions. The choice of precipitating agent and its concentration also play a significant role.

4. Are there any risks associated with precipitation of metal chlorides?

While precipitation of metal chlorides is generally considered a safe process, it is important to handle the chemicals involved with caution as some metal chlorides can be toxic. It is recommended to follow proper safety protocols and wear appropriate personal protective equipment when working with these compounds.

5. What are the potential applications of precipitation of metal chlorides?

Precipitation of metal chlorides has various applications in industries such as mining, metallurgy, and chemical manufacturing. It is also used in environmental remediation to remove metal ions from polluted water sources. Additionally, this process is utilized in the production of pharmaceuticals, ceramics, and other materials.