Precise intuition about limits and infinitesimals

In summary: There are some resources that can help you learn about limits in a gentle way, but they are not widely available. One option is to watch the videos mentioned earlier, which are gentle introductions to the concepts of limits.
Sleek
I've understood the formal definition of limits and its various applications. However, I'm trying to dive more into the history of how the concept of limits were conceived (more than what Wikipedia tends to cover), and how to formally understand and visualise infinitesimals.

For example, I know that `0.999... = 1`, where both the LHS and RHS are the same numbers with different representations (there's a proof that uses limits). How can I formally understand this? What branch of mathematics can I start exploring, and what are the best resources to do it?

Also, what are some good resources on the history of limits and the technical understanding of something "tending to infinity but not infinity?"

On my background: I've done math heavily in my undergraduate studies and calculus is not a problem. However, I'm trying to get deep into making things that I've learned intuitive, and not just resort to manipulating symbols without complete understanding.

Please let me know if my question is a bit vague, I'll be happy to add more details.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an excellent book from Jean Dieudonné about the mathematical history between 1700 and 1900. The numbers are from its title, the content isn't as strict at its borders. Unfortunately I don't know of an English version, but it's really a good source, and as I find, exciting.

Likes jedishrfu
It is possible to make infinitesimals rigorous. This is called "non-standard analysis", and is treated in the book "Non standard analysis" by Robinson.

Likes jedishrfu
Sleek said:
How can I formally understand this? What branch of mathematics can I start exploring, and what are the best resources to do it?
Also, what are some good resources on the history of limits and the technical understanding of something "tending to infinity but not infinity?"

A formal and technical understanding of limits is a different goal than understanding the early history of these concepts. The early history of the concept of limits is primarily useful in intuitively understanding limits. To understand the formal concept of limits, you need to understand the "game" of modern mathematics. This involves understanding the use of formal logic and logical quantifiers - and the outlook that definitions mean what they say as opposed to being descriptions of things that already exist.

It would be nice if mathematical topics could be studied in a gentle way, starting from their historic roots and proceeding to modern treatments. However, this is a time consuming way to learn things and most expositions that take this approach assume you already appreciate modern mathematical formalism.

Likes sysprog

What is the concept of limits and infinitesimals?

Limits and infinitesimals are mathematical concepts used to describe the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. Limits are used to determine the exact value of a function at a specific point, while infinitesimals refer to values that are infinitely close to zero.

Why is having a precise intuition about limits and infinitesimals important?

Having a precise intuition about limits and infinitesimals is important because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of functions, which is crucial in many areas of science and engineering. It also helps us to accurately solve mathematical problems involving limits and infinitesimals.

How do we calculate limits and infinitesimals?

Limits and infinitesimals can be calculated using a variety of methods, such as algebraic manipulation, graphing, and using the properties of limits. In some cases, we may also need to use techniques such as L'Hôpital's rule or Taylor series expansions to calculate limits and infinitesimals accurately.

What are some real-life applications of limits and infinitesimals?

Limits and infinitesimals have numerous real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they are used to model the behavior of particles in motion, to optimize the design of structures, and to analyze economic trends and market behaviors.

How do limits and infinitesimals relate to calculus?

Limits and infinitesimals are fundamental concepts in calculus, which is the branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. Limits are used to define derivatives and integrals, which are the two main concepts in calculus, while infinitesimals are used in the development of differential and integral calculus.