Precision hole making methods for small holes

In summary, the individual is designing a fixture for quality control with precision holes ranging from 1/8" to 5/16" with a tolerance of ±0.0002" and a depth of 1/2". They have looked into EDM hole making and honing, but are wondering if there are any other processes that could work. Through holes are preferred, but blind holes are also an option. It is important for the process to accurately duplicate the hole, as there will be two fixtures with the same holes. Reaming and wire EDM are suggested as potential solutions. However, the depth of 1/2" for a 1/8" hole may be difficult to achieve with precision. Using ring gages in
Mikelangelo
I'm designing a fixture for quality control and need a few precision holes. Their diameters range from 1/8" to 5/16" and need to be ±0.0002" with a depth of 1/2". I've been looking into EDM hole making and honing, but neither seem to be great for that range of diameters. Anyone know of any other processes that would work or if EDM hole making or honing would work for a hole that size. Its very important for the process to accurately duplicate the hole. There will be two of these fixtures built and the holes need to yield the same result. The hole is used during the QC test and the results are dependent on it.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Are the holes right through or blind ended ??

Nidum said:
Are the holes right through or blind ended ??
Currently they're designed as through but I could do them blind. I just assume blind would be easier to manufacture

Through holes are usually much easier to manufacture in smaller sizes .

For your application some simple engineering will work . Using modern quality tooling those holes could just be drilled and reamed by a controlled process and still end up well within tolerance .

The hole sizes and tolerances you quote are common ones for things like dowel pins and these are certainly just drilled and reamed .

This work can be done perfectly well on a standard milling machine or jig borer but best way nowadays would be to get the whole of your component CNC machined and have the holes done at same time . That way you can get precision location of holes as well as precision fit .

Nidum said:
Through holes are usually much easier to manufacture in smaller sizes .

For your application some simple engineering will work . Using modern quality tooling those holes could just be drilled and reamed by a controlled process and still end up well within tolerance .

The hole sizes and tolerances you quote are common ones for things like dowel pins and these are certainly just drilled and reamed .

This work can be done perfectly well on a standard milling machine or jig borer but best way nowadays would be to get the whole of your component CNC machined and have the holes done at same time . That way you can get precision location of holes as well as precision fit .
I'm now realizing I forgot to mention that its very important for the process to accurately duplicate the hole. There will be two of these fixtures built and the holes need to yield the same result. The hole is used during the QC test and the results are dependent on it.

I Nidum is right, reaming should be able to do it. Wire EDM as well (not sinker).

Do they really need to be 1/2" deep? That is pretty deep for a precision 1/8" hole.

Does it have to be one plate? Can you somehow use ring gages in tooling?

The most accurate holes are through holes. 0.0002” on diameter is a close tolerance to meet. It will be necessary to have a temperature controlled environment for the machine operation and possibly when using the fixture.

One way to make calibrated holes is as follows. Drill a pilot hole, then take the hole out close to size with an undersize reamer. Next, hone the hole to dull the finish and remove any reamer marks. Finally, press a lubricated steel bearing ball all the way through the hole. That will deform the honed surface to the final diameter. Keep the reamer and the one ball together as the master for generating those fixtures.

1. What is precision hole making?

Precision hole making is a process used to create small, accurate holes in various materials such as metal, plastic, or wood. It involves using specialized tools and techniques to achieve a high level of precision and control over the size and shape of the hole.

2. What are the most common methods for precision hole making?

The most commonly used methods for precision hole making are drilling, reaming, and boring. Drilling involves rotating a cutting tool to create a hole, reaming is used to refine the size and shape of an existing hole, and boring is used to enlarge an existing hole.

3. What are the advantages of precision hole making?

Precision hole making allows for the creation of small, accurate holes that are essential for many industries such as aerospace, automotive, and medical. It also ensures consistency and repeatability in hole size and placement, which is crucial for the proper functioning of machinery and equipment.

4. What are the limitations of precision hole making?

Precision hole making can be a time-consuming and expensive process, especially for very small holes. It also requires specialized equipment and skilled operators to achieve the desired level of precision. Additionally, certain materials may be more challenging to work with, making it difficult to achieve accurate hole sizes.

5. How can I determine the best precision hole making method for my project?

The best method for precision hole making will depend on factors such as the material being used, the desired hole size and shape, and the level of precision required. Consulting with a professional or conducting research on different methods and their capabilities can help determine the best approach for your specific project.