Precision Measurements with a Michelson Interferometer

• Thread starter whatisreality
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation was about finding a suitable title for a report on an experiment using a Michelson interferometer. The experiment involved measuring thin film thickness, mercury green line wavelength, and the separation of spectral lines in sodium, as well as demonstrating the accuracy of the instrument. After considering various options, the suggested title was "Precise Measurements by a Michelson interferometer."
whatisreality
I'm writing a report on an experiment done with a Michelson interferometer, which was used to make a measurement of thin film thickness, mercury green line wavelength and the separation of spectral lines in sodium.

I'm told I can't just entitle it 'Michelson interferometer' as that gives too little information. But equally,

'Measurement of Mylar thin film thickness, mercury green line wavelength and the separation of spectral lines in sodium with a Michelson interferometer' seems ridiculously long...

Any suggestions for an alternative? :) I can't think of a shorter way to completely describe the experiment!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the key point of the experiment? The main outcome?

Likes whatisreality
Well, the experimental objectives were all of the above, as well as demonstrating the accuracy of the Michelson interferometer. I don't know that one was more important than the others really... Which makes the title difficult. They all took the same amount of time, anyway!

So if there is no catching phrase and the measurements seem to have little to do with each other beside they are proceeded by the same instrument I suggest "Precise Measurements by a Michelson interferometer".

Likes whatisreality
fresh_42 said:
So if there is no catching phrase and the measurements seem to have little to do with each other beside they are proceeded by the same instrument I suggest "Precise Measurements by a Michelson interferometer".
That is absolutely perfect! Thank you!

1. What makes a good report title?

A good report title should be clear, concise, and accurately reflect the content of the report. It should also be attention-grabbing and interesting to the reader.

2. How long should a report title be?

A report title should ideally be no longer than 10-12 words. This ensures that it is easily readable and memorable for the reader.

3. Should a report title include keywords?

Yes, including relevant keywords in a report title can help improve its visibility and make it easier for readers to find and understand the topic of the report.

4. Is it important to use proper grammar and punctuation in a report title?

Yes, using proper grammar and punctuation is important in a report title as it adds to the professionalism and credibility of the report. It also makes the title easier to read and understand.

5. Can a report title be changed after the report is completed?

In most cases, it is not recommended to change the report title after the report is completed as it may cause confusion for readers and affect the overall coherence of the report. However, if necessary, the title can be revised with proper justification and explanation.