Predicate logic - true or false formulae

In summary: In the first case, P(a) and P(b) are both true, so you can choose x = a and the statement will be true because a = a. In the second case, P(a) and P(b) are both false, so you cannot choose any x that will make the statement true, and therefore the whole statement is false. In the third case, P(a) is true and P(b) is false, so you can choose x = a and the statement will be true because a = a, but you can also choose x = b and the statement will be true because b = b. Therefore, the whole statement is true. So, in summary, the formula is true under all three interpretations.
sparta123
Hello everyone, I can't seem to understand how to do this question.

Determine whether the formula F: ∃x∀y(P(x) → x = y) is true or false under each of the following interpretations over the domain D = {a, b}.

(i) both P(a) and P(b) are true;

(ii) both P(a) and P(b) are false;

(iii) P(a) is true and P(b) is false.Before I post my solution, please let me know if you think I'm not understanding the question. I think we are asked to write out all the interpretations for the 3 different cases and determine whether they make the formula true or false. If there are no false cases then the formula is true under the given interpretations - otherwise false. Here is my solution:

i) we can immediately see two cases which would make the formula false so it is false under interpretation i) :
P(a) → a=b and P(b) → b=a

ii) No need to check here because the premises would be false so the formula is true in every case.

iii) there are four cases, one of which is false so F is false under interpretation iii) :

1) P(a) → a=a [true] 2) P(a)→ a=b [false] 3) P(b)→ b=b [true] 4) P(b)→ b=a [true]So my final answers would be i) false ii) true iii) false

My answers for i) and ii) are matching with the answers sheet but our lecturer has provided me with the following solution for iii): "Then the formula is true. Indeed, both P(b) → b = a and P(b) → b = b are true."Can somebody please explain to me where I am wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your error is in understanding the significance of the ∃x element. It means that you only have to find some x for which ∀y(P(x) → x = y) is true for the whole to be true.

1. What is the purpose of predicate logic?

Predicate logic is a type of mathematical logic that is used to represent propositions and arguments in a formal and precise way. It is used to analyze and reason about statements that involve variables, quantifiers, and logical connectives.

2. What is a true formula in predicate logic?

A true formula in predicate logic is a statement or proposition that is always true, regardless of the values assigned to its variables. It is a logical statement that is valid and consistent according to the rules of predicate logic.

3. How are quantifiers used in predicate logic?

Quantifiers, such as "for all" (∀) and "there exists" (∃), are used to express the scope of variables in a logical statement. They allow us to make generalizations and specify the number of objects that satisfy a given condition in a formula.

4. Can a statement be both true and false in predicate logic?

No, according to the principle of bivalence in classical logic, a statement can only have two truth values - true or false. In predicate logic, a statement is either true or false, depending on whether it satisfies the conditions specified in the formula.

5. How is validity determined in predicate logic?

A formula in predicate logic is considered valid if it is true for all possible interpretations of its variables. In other words, if the conclusion follows logically from the premises, then the formula is valid. This can be determined using truth tables or logical equivalences.