Predicting Initial Length of String Needed Before Stretch

In summary, the equation calculates the length of string required to produce a desired magnitude of static friction, fundamental frequency, and tension. The equation also requires initial conditions such as the string breakover angle, nut-tuner distance, and string diameter.
Chrono G. Xay
I have put together an equation whose purpose is:

With a desired 'magnitude of static friction' ( μ_s ), 'fundamental frequency' ( f ), and 'tension' ( T ),

initial conditions such as 'string breakover angle' ( Θ_0 ), 'nut-tuner distance' ( L_{h,0} ), and 'string diameter' ( d ),

and, finally, constants 'tuner diameter' ( D ), 'nut thickness' ( L_n ), 'nut-saddle distance' ( L_s ), 'saddle-bridge distance' ( L_b ), 'elastic modulus' ( E ), and 'Poisson's Ratio' ( ν ),

What 'initial length of string' ( L_0 ) is required?

I have already written my work out, and was hoping there'd be someone among the members of PF who wouldn't mind helping to check it with me.

Please keep in mind that I am an undergraduate pursuing a degree in Music Education, studying percussion, and have a great passion for Physics and Math, applying what I learn to further accelerate my comprehension and make the execution of a piece of music that much more fluid and efficient.

image.jpg

(My apologies about the picture- I tried a few times to get it to display right side up, but it wouldn't work for me...)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As for the variables I have not yet explained, they have to do with geometries of the guitar, such as L_w , which is the length of extra string as it relates to windings around the string post, either up or down, where 'n' is the number of windings, 'c' is the length of string needed to circumscribe the string post once such that multiple windings will result in a diagonal sort of stack (like in reality), 'r' is the length associated with how L_h changes as more string is wrapped around the string post, and 'ΔΘ' has to do with how the breakover angle of the string from the nut to the tuner changes as more string is wrapped around the string post.

Note: The only flaw with 'r' as it is currently written is that it assumes the initial incident angle between the string and the string post is a right angle, and while this may be true for some cases I would like to be able to account for the majority of cases where this is not true.

Is there a reference you can provide, preferably online, where the various parameters are defined?

Chet

I believe the material typically used for manufacturing of plain guitar strings (i.e. not wound) is Mn-50 Ni-41 Sn-9, where ρ = 7.797 \frac{g}{cm^3}, but I haven't been able to find the values for 'E' and 'ν', so I'm having to use those of 430 Steel (which supposedly D'Addario uses, and whose density ρ = 7.74 \frac{g}{cm^3}), where the ranges for E and ν can be found here: http://www.azom.com/properties.aspx?ArticleID=996.

With guitars where the headstock is angled using a scarf joint, the typical value of 'Θ_0', so I've read, is \frac{π}{12}. For the sake of argument, let's say the scale length 'L_s' is 25.5 in., the initial string diameter 'd' is 0.009 in., the string post is a solid cylinder (no concave milling) with a diameter 'D' of 0.25 in., sticks up out of the headstock by 0.5 in. and the hole for the string is halfway (0.25 in.) up, the initial nut-tuner distance 'L_h' is 6 in. (The high-e string of a guitar with a reversed headstock), and the saddle-bridge distance 'L_b' is 1.5 in. (no spring-loaded "tremolo" unit). Also, let's suppose that the nut is made of Teflon (ex. GraphTech TUSQ nut) so the coefficient of static friction 'μ_s' is about 0.04 .

Could you put up pictures of an actual guitar with the construction you describe or better still a technical drawing ?

Likes Chestermiller
Here we go:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

1. How is the initial length of string needed before stretch predicted?

The initial length of string needed before stretch is predicted using mathematical equations and experimental data. These equations take into account factors such as the type of string, its thickness, and the amount of force it can withstand before stretching. By plugging in these variables, scientists can calculate the initial length needed for a specific string.

2. What types of strings can be used for predicting initial length before stretch?

Any type of string can be used for predicting initial length before stretch, as long as its properties are known and can be measured. This includes materials such as rubber, nylon, and steel.

3. How accurate are the predictions for initial length before stretch?

The accuracy of the predictions for initial length before stretch depends on the quality of the data and the complexity of the mathematical equations used. In general, the predictions are fairly accurate, but they may vary slightly from the actual results due to factors such as manufacturing differences and environmental conditions.

4. Can the initial length of string needed before stretch be changed?

The initial length of string needed before stretch is determined by the properties of the string and the amount of force it can withstand. This means that it cannot be changed once the string has been manufactured. However, scientists can use this information to make adjustments in the design of objects that use strings, such as musical instruments or sports equipment.

5. How is predicting initial length before stretch useful?

Predicting initial length before stretch is useful in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and material science. It allows scientists to design and build structures and devices that use strings with the appropriate length and strength for their intended purpose. It also helps in quality control and product development for string-based products.