Predicting Local Arrival Time w/ Rocket Ship Clock & Accelerometer

In summary: SR... clock is.In summary, it is possible to predict Earth-based time by feeding only the rocket ship's clock and accelerometer data into a computer. However, this method is limited by the accuracy of the clock and accelerometer.
Bob Walance
Insights Author
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
This is a discussion about predicting Earth-based time from within a traveling rocket ship.
First, create a rocket ship with:

* a clock
* a 3-axis accelerometer
* a computer
* a 3-axis external thruster

The rocketeer begins in Earth orbit and sets the clock to Earth time. Then the ship takes off on a random trip through our universe. The pilot will arbitrarily point and apply the thruster in various directions. The path of this rocket might also be influenced by various forms of external matter (e.g. planets and stars and black holes).

Miraculously, after a long trip, the disoriented spaceperson finds that their rocket is back in Earth orbit.

Is it possible for the Earth time at arrival to be accurately predicted by feeding ONLY the rocket ship's clock and accelerometer data into the computer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question? Either way, what do you think and why?

Not homework (I'm a 63yo EE). I have no formal training in GR.

I hope that the answer is yes but I don't yet have an intuitive feel for relative time in GR. SR seems easier to grasp but its effects aren't covered by more complex scenarios.

Likes russ_watters
Bob Walance said:
Not homework (I'm a 63yo EE). I have no formal training in GR.

I hope that the answer is yes but I don't yet have an intuitive feel for relative time in GR. SR seems easier to grasp but its effects aren't covered by more complex scenarios.

What has this problem got to do with GR?

And don't say because SR can't handle acceleration!

See, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration_(special_relativity)

PeroK said:
What has this problem got to do with GR?
He allows the path to go near black holes.
Bob Walance said:
I hope that the answer is yes
Unfortunately, no. What does your accelerometer not detect from your list of effects?

"...Unfortunately, no. What does your accelerometer not detect from your list of effects?"

My understanding of GR is that when the ship's thruster is off then the accelerometer will read 0.000... in all directions. That is, the ship is inertial (zero external net forces) when the thruster is off.

Ibix said:

Unfortunately, no. What does your accelerometer not detect from your list of effects?

I assumed the idea was that gravity is "equivalent" to acceleration. So, by measuring acceleration of the ship you could measure the gravitational effects.

Bob Walance said:
My understanding of GR is that when the ship's thruster is off then the accelerometer will read 0.000... in all directions. That is, the ship is inertial (zero external net forces) when the thruster is off.
Correct. So what might affect your elapsed time that you can't detect by this methodology?

Ibix said:

Ibix said:
Correct. So what might affect your elapsed time that you can't detect by this methodology?

That's a great point, Ibix. The only effect (that I can think of) is all of the previous non-zero values detected by the accelerometer.

Bob Walance said:
That's a great point, Ibix. The only effect (that I can think of) is all of the previous non-zero values detected by the accelerometer.
No. Clocks deeper in gravitational fields tick slower than those further away (look up the Pound-Rebka experiment, or gravitational time dilation more generally). You can't detect this with your accelerometer, and hence you can't tell what your Earthly return time would be. You could if you could guarantee you were never deep in a gravitational field, and hence that SR was a decent approximation.

Likes russ_watters
...or, to be fair, if you had a sufficiently precise map of the galaxy that you could deduce your route from your proper acceleration history, that would also work. You'd be able to calculate where you were and hence factor in the gravitational effects. I strongly suspect that the precision needed to do this is implausible, but it's possible in principle.

Bob Walance said:
Summary: This is a discussion about predicting Earth-based time from within a traveling rocket ship.

First, create a rocket ship with:

* a clock
* a 3-axis accelerometer
* a computer
* a 3-axis external thruster

The rocketeer begins in Earth orbit and sets the clock to Earth time. Then the ship takes off on a random trip through our universe. The pilot will arbitrarily point and apply the thruster in various directions. The path of this rocket might also be influenced by various forms of external matter (e.g. planets and stars and black holes).

Miraculously, after a long trip, the disoriented spaceperson finds that their rocket is back in Earth orbit.

Is it possible for the Earth time at arrival to be accurately predicted by feeding ONLY the rocket ship's clock and accelerometer data into the computer?

As others have said, your accelerometer reading won't give you information on the external matter, planets, stars, and black holes. If you eliminate that external element, and assume you are in the flat space-time of special relativity (SR), I believe the answer is basically yes, subject to how much accuracy you want and how accurate your instruments are.

At one time I saw a paper on the inertial navigation problem in SR, though I don't recall the author of the paper. So I'm relying on my fallible memory when I say the answer is "yes", but that's what I recollect.

1. How does the rocket ship clock work?

The rocket ship clock uses a highly accurate timekeeping mechanism, such as an atomic clock, to measure the time elapsed during the rocket's flight. This time is then used in conjunction with the rocket's velocity and distance traveled to calculate the estimated arrival time at the destination.

2. What is the role of the accelerometer in predicting arrival time?

The accelerometer measures the acceleration of the rocket, which is necessary for determining the rocket's velocity and distance traveled. This data is then used in the calculation of the estimated arrival time.

3. How accurate is the predicted arrival time using this method?

The accuracy of the predicted arrival time depends on the accuracy of the clock and accelerometer, as well as other factors such as air resistance and external forces. With advanced technology and precise calibration, the predicted arrival time can be very accurate.

4. Can this method be used for any type of rocket or spacecraft?

Yes, this method can be used for any type of rocket or spacecraft as long as it has a clock and accelerometer to measure time and acceleration. However, the accuracy may vary depending on the capabilities of these instruments.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges with using this method?

One limitation of this method is that it does not take into account external factors such as changes in wind speed or gravitational pull, which can affect the rocket's trajectory and arrival time. Additionally, the accuracy of the predicted arrival time may decrease over long distances or when the rocket's velocity changes significantly.