Predicting outputs of f(x)=(1+i)^x

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a table for the integer inputs of the function f(x)=(1+i)^x and the discovery of patterns in the graph, which can be extended to negative inputs. The suggestion is made to convert the equation into polar form to easily exponentiate it and obtain a parametric equation for a logarithmic spiral. Further resources are recommended for a better understanding of complex numbers.
AaronQ
I got bored a while back and deiced to create a table of the integer inputs of f(x)=(1+i)^x and I noticed quiet a few patterns which I am trying to catalog here, although most of my work so far deal with Natural inputs, all patterns continue into the negative, see here, I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any ideas on and possible ways or equations that I could use to predict future real parts or imaginary numbers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The graph that you have is probably the logarithmic spiral. In order to get the real and imaginary parts of your equation, first convert it into polar form so that you can exponentiate it easily. You should end up with a parametric equation of a spiral.

Fightfish said:
The graph that you have is probably the logarithmic spiral. In order to get the real and imaginary parts of your equation, first convert it into polar form so that you can exponentiate it easily. You should end up with a parametric equation of a spiral.
Sorry a lot of that went over my head, could you give me it in more of laypeople terms?

fresh_42 said:
##f(n) = (1+i)^n = (\sqrt{2} \, e^{i \frac{\pi}{4}})^n = 2^{\frac{n}{2}} e^{i \frac{n \pi}{4}}##
The real and imaginary part can be found by ##r e^{i \varphi} = r \cos{\varphi} + i r \sin{\varphi}##
Thank you that should work.

1. How do I interpret the output of f(x)=(1+i)^x?

The output of this function represents the value of (1+i) raised to the power of x. This means that the output will increase as x increases, and the rate of increase will depend on the value of i. For example, if i=0.05, the output will increase faster compared to when i=0.01.

2. Can I use this function to predict the future value of an investment with compound interest?

Yes, this function can be used to predict the future value of an investment with compound interest. Simply plug in the number of years (x) and the interest rate (i) into the function, and the output will give you the future value of the investment.

3. What is the significance of (1+i) in the function?

(1+i) represents the growth factor or the multiplier for each time period. This factor takes into account the initial value and the interest rate and determines the rate of growth for each time period.

4. Can I use this function to predict negative values?

No, this function is not suitable for predicting negative values. Since (1+i) is always greater than 1, the output of the function will always be positive. It is best used for predicting values that are expected to increase over time.

5. How accurate are the predictions from this function?

The accuracy of the predictions from this function depends on the accuracy of the input values. If the interest rate and time period used are accurate, the predictions will also be accurate. However, as with any prediction, there may be other factors that can affect the actual outcome.