Is f(x) = √9x a bijection?

In summary: The symbol √9x should never be used without parentheses, as either (√9)x or √(9x).The symbol √9x should never be used without parentheses, as either (√9)x or √(9x).
dirtypurp
Let f : N −→ R and f(x) = √ 9x

The domain is all natural numbers: {0, 1, 2, 3, ...}

The codomain is all real numbers.

The range i believe is [0, +infinity)

I believe that although the above is a function since every input of x provides a output that fits in our codomain. I also believe that this is a injective function (one to one correspondence) since f(x)=f(y); x=y. However I do not believe that it is a bijection since not every output we get, which is considered to be our range, is equal to the codomain which is all real numbers. For example no negative output can be given.

Does anyone care to agree or disagree?

Physics news on Phys.org
The range is not ##[0,\infty)##. For example, ##1## is not in the range.

Infrared said:
The range is not ##[0,\infty)##. For example, ##1## is not in the range.
So what is the range? and if so the function isn't bijection then based on what you said

The range is the set of real numbers of the form ##\sqrt{9n}## (or equivalently ##3\sqrt{n}##), where ##n## is a natural number. There's not a simpler way of writing it.

As you noted, the function is not a bijection because it is not surjective.

Infrared said:
The range is the set of real numbers of the form ##\sqrt{9n}## (or equivalently ##3\sqrt{n}##), where ##n## is a natural number. There's not a simpler way of writing it.

As you noted, the function is not a bijection because it is not surjective.
ah okay that makes sense however the function is injective since every output is only given by one input.

thank you for your help

I think it's important to mention that the original question is stated in a totally unclear fashion, because it could be that the square root applies to 9x, but it also could be that the square root applies only to 9 before the result (3) is multiplied by x.

The symbol √9x should never be used without parentheses, as either (√9)x or √(9x).

The question in the OP is clear to me (and I think the others who have provided substantive answers), although it would of course be even clearer using LaTeX: ## f(x) = \sqrt{9x} ##. The alternative interpretation is that the question relates to ## f(x) = \sqrt{9}x = 3x ##, which would be nonsensical. And before you say 'but surely it would be better to write f(x) = 3√x', consider that this could easily be confused with ## f(x) = \sqrt[3]{x} ##.

Not at all nonsensical! Just probably too simple to ask about. Which is different.

One's text should not depend on others' decisions about what is probably too simple to ask about.

1. What is a bijection?

A bijection is a mathematical term that refers to a function between two sets, where each element in the first set is paired with exactly one element in the second set, and vice versa. In other words, a bijection is a one-to-one and onto mapping between two sets.

2. How can I determine if a function is a bijection?

To determine if a function is a bijection, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at exactly one point, then the function is one-to-one. Additionally, you can check if every element in the range of the function is mapped to by at least one element in the domain, and vice versa.

3. What is the importance of a bijection in mathematics?

Bijections are important in mathematics because they establish a one-to-one correspondence between two sets, which allows for the manipulation and analysis of sets in a more efficient and accurate manner. Bijections also play a crucial role in many branches of mathematics, such as algebra, calculus, and topology.

4. Can a function be both a bijection and not a bijection?

No, a function cannot be both a bijection and not a bijection. A function can only be either a bijection or not a bijection. A function that satisfies the criteria of a bijection is considered a bijection, while a function that fails to meet the criteria is not a bijection.

5. How is a bijection different from a one-to-one function?

A bijection is a type of one-to-one function, but not all one-to-one functions are bijections. A one-to-one function is a function where each element in the domain is paired with exactly one element in the range. However, a one-to-one function may not be onto, meaning that there are elements in the range that are not mapped to by any element in the domain. A bijection, on the other hand, is both one-to-one and onto.