Predicting the behaviour of a closed circular airfoil

In summary, the conversation discusses the aerodynamics of a frisbee and the idea of using an airfoil shape for a larger, upscaled version. The conversation also explores the potential use of CFD software and wind tunnels for testing and modeling different airfoil designs.
Limacharlie
I was out and about today and observed a dog walker playing frisbee with their dog. I noticed the frisbee gliding gracefully through the air as the dog jumped to grab it, clutching the ring-like disc in its mouth.

It got me to thinking about airflow over the disc, the lift and drag properties of the shape and what would make it fly longer. Which then lead me to imagine what would happen if the disc was to be turned on its side and somehow projected through the air. Obviously, a flat disc such as a frisbee would drop immediately in front of you, caused by too much drag. But, what if the disc was produced to be an airfoil shape, such as a wind turbine blade or a wing of an aircraft? I mean literally taken one of these and bending it around an enormous jig and joining the ends, then making it uniform all of the ways around. Then somehow firing this giant ring into the air on an arc.

Because the shape of an airfoil creates lift in the upward direction, my intuition tells me that the forces would balance out and in theory would fly for x amount of time with friction and gravity acting on it.

Could anyone predict the behaviour of my closed-loop-airfoil on a large scale without CFD software?

And what would the forces be doing acting on it?

Thanks, everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes like the X-zylo.

But I'm interested in the physics of a larger, upscaled one like 30m in diameter.

I understand it has been done before but couldn't find anything on the internet that satisfies my question. I'm sure there's a ton of research done on this topic in the aerospace industry, do you have any links to theses or papers, perhaps

Thanks anyway, appreciate it.

Thanks for that.

What about a 30m doughnut-shaped wing?

Limacharlie said:
What about a 30m doughnut-shaped wing?
Weights more then "flattened" closed wing designs (for same lift) and needs a bigger hangar.

OK, I appreciate you taking the time to try and answer my question and provide me with links.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my question, I was hoping to get some comprehensive explanations and predictions and maybe model some of the behaviours of what a doughnut-shaped airfoil would do. Obviously, building one in real life is either pointless or not cost effective. And obviously, there are no hangars to support this.

<< Mentor Note -- post edited >>

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about Aero, but are there free software packages that let you try out different airfoil designs to see how they do? Or maybe there is a small scale wind tunnel near you that you could get some time in with some models for you to try out your ideas? :smile:

Hi,

Yes, I've found some free CFD software which I'm downloading as we speak.

Thanks

Likes berkeman

1. How is the behavior of a closed circular airfoil predicted?

The behavior of a closed circular airfoil is predicted using computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations. This involves using mathematical equations to model the flow of air around the airfoil and predicting its behavior.

2. What factors affect the behavior of a closed circular airfoil?

The behavior of a closed circular airfoil is affected by factors such as the angle of attack, airfoil shape, airfoil thickness, and airfoil speed. These factors can impact the lift and drag forces acting on the airfoil, ultimately affecting its behavior.

3. How accurate are predictions of a closed circular airfoil's behavior?

The accuracy of predictions for a closed circular airfoil's behavior depends on the complexity of the simulation and the accuracy of the input parameters. In general, CFD simulations are able to provide fairly accurate predictions of airfoil behavior, but it is important to validate these predictions with experimental data.

4. Can the behavior of a closed circular airfoil be predicted for all conditions?

No, the behavior of a closed circular airfoil can only be predicted for the specific conditions that are input into the simulation. These conditions include airfoil shape, airfoil speed, and airfoil angle of attack. Changes in these conditions can affect the airfoil's behavior and would require a new simulation to be performed.

5. What are some applications for predicting the behavior of a closed circular airfoil?

Predicting the behavior of a closed circular airfoil is important in the design and optimization of aircraft wings, wind turbines, and other aerodynamic structures. It can also be used in the development of new airfoil shapes and in the analysis of aerodynamic performance in various conditions.