Predicting the charge of a W boson

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to know 3 Feynman diagrams for a Physics exam: beta-plus/minus decay, proton electron capturing, and neutrinos interacting with matter. The topic of the charge of the W boson in these interactions is also brought up, with no clear rule governing its charge. The last part of the conversation explains the process of a W negative boson being emitted from a neutron and causing a quark transformation to release energy in radioactive decay.
tmonk
For my Physics exam, I need to know 3 Feynman diagrams: beta-plus/minus decay, proton electron capturing, and neutrinos interacting with matter.

I know that there's a W- in [tex]\beta[/tex]- decay, W+ in [tex]\beta[/tex]+ decay, which seems logical.

However, in proton electron capture there is a W+ boson, and in a neutron-neutrino collision there is a W-. There seems to be no rule governing the charge of the boson.

If there is, could someone please let me know!

Physics news on Phys.org
p + e -> n + nu

?

then the electron would turn into a W- and a nu where the W- interacts with the quark

ansgar said:
p + e -> n + nu

?

then the electron would turn into a W- and a nu where the W- interacts with the quark

I thought it was a W+ boson in this case, which turns the u into a d?

u plus w+ gives something with +5/3 charge... right?

When a W negative boson is emitted from a neutron it forms an electron and an electron anti neutrino. This causes the down quark from the neutron to turn into a up quark to form a proton. This is the energy released in radioactive decay. That is all I can do. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weak_interaction

Related to Predicting the charge of a W boson

1. What is a W boson?

A W boson is a subatomic particle that carries the weak nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature. It is a type of gauge boson, meaning it mediates interactions between other particles.

2. How is the charge of a W boson predicted?

The charge of a W boson is predicted using the Standard Model of particle physics, which describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. It is also predicted through experiments and observations of the behavior of W bosons.

3. Why is predicting the charge of a W boson important?

Predicting the charge of a W boson is important because it helps us understand the fundamental properties and interactions of particles. It also allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of particles in different situations, which can lead to advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe.

4. What factors can affect the charge of a W boson?

The charge of a W boson is determined by its electric charge, which is a fundamental property of the particle. It is not affected by external factors, but can be changed through interactions with other particles.

5. Are there any current research efforts related to predicting the charge of a W boson?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts in particle physics to study the properties and interactions of W bosons. This includes experiments at particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider, as well as theoretical studies using mathematical models and simulations.