Preparing for a career as quantitative analytist

In summary: Thank you for taking your time to find and send these. I live in Scandinavia and would prefer to do an internship here, but doesn't seem like they're recruiting. However, sending an e-mail sounds like a good idea and worth a try :)
Mikkel
Hello, I'm looking for any advice on how to prepare myself for a starting position as a quantitative analytist (quant).
I'm currently doing my Master's in astrophysics, where I for the last 1½ year have been practicting my coding skills, as I found myself gravitated towards the industry's data science and quant positions. I plan to take more courses that involve programming and I'm doing beginner projects on the side that involves machine learning.
What I'm looking for now is advice on how to proceed my preparations. I was thinking about learning the basics of C#/C++ for high frequency trading - seems useful, SQL and some basic finance knowledge.
I'd appreciate any advice and/or links to online courses and books you can recommend.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Given your post it sounds like probably not, but if you have a chance to do an internship at a trading firm that would both help you figure out if that's something you're interested in, and also give you a better chance at getting a full time job afterwards.

Office_Shredder said:
Given your post it sounds like probably not, but if you have a chance to do an internship at a trading firm that would both help you figure out if that's something you're interested in, and also give you a better chance at getting a full time job afterwards.
Thanks for your reply.
I've been looking into that, but it doesn't seem like they provide internships for these kind of positions.

Mikkel said:
Thanks for your reply.
I've been looking into that, but it doesn't seem like they provide internships for these kind of positions.
Your thread is a couple months late since I imagine most of them have closed their 2021 summer internship applications, but if you are going to be in school for a while longer you could apply for a 2022 summer internship, or you could just try to email them and ask if they offer off-cycle internships (I have no idea if that would work).

It does seem like it's easier to find a place currently accepting internships in the US than in Europe. I don't know if you can just do a US based internship, how the visa stuff works with that.

https://www.janestreet.com/join-jane-street/internships/

closed for applications for summer 2021, but they have internships in London

https://www.citadel.com/careers/open-positions/positions-for-students/?keyword=Intern%20trader

This says they have an open application for us interns right now. No mention of a London based one (they do have an office in Europe though)

https://www.tower-research.com/open-positions/?gh_jid=3075627

Another open application for a us internship. No mention of one based in Europe, but they do have a London office also.

I just searched for proprietary trading firms and looked at their websites, if you keep looking around you might be able to find something that works better.

Likes Mikkel
Office_Shredder said:
Your thread is a couple months late since I imagine most of them have closed their 2021 summer internship applications, but if you are going to be in school for a while longer you could apply for a 2022 summer internship, or you could just try to email them and ask if they offer off-cycle internships (I have no idea if that would work).

It does seem like it's easier to find a place currently accepting internships in the US than in Europe. I don't know if you can just do a US based internship, how the visa stuff works with that.

https://www.janestreet.com/join-jane-street/internships/

closed for applications for summer 2021, but they have internships in London

https://www.citadel.com/careers/open-positions/positions-for-students/?keyword=Intern%20trader

This says they have an open application for us interns right now. No mention of a London based one (they do have an office in Europe though)

https://www.tower-research.com/open-positions/?gh_jid=3075627

Another open application for a us internship. No mention of one based in Europe, but they do have a London office also.

I just searched for proprietary trading firms and looked at their websites, if you keep looking around you might be able to find something that works better.
Thank you for taking your time to find and send these. I live in Scandinavia and would prefer to do an internship here, but doesn't seem like they're recruiting. However, sending an e-mail sounds like a good idea and worth a try :)

1. What is a quantitative analyst?

A quantitative analyst is a professional who uses mathematical and statistical techniques to analyze and solve complex problems in finance, economics, and other industries. They use data to make informed decisions and provide insight into market trends and patterns.

2. What skills are needed to become a quantitative analyst?

To become a successful quantitative analyst, you will need strong mathematical and statistical skills, as well as a solid understanding of programming languages such as Python, R, and SQL. You should also have excellent critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills.

3. What education is required to become a quantitative analyst?

Most employers require a bachelor's degree in a quantitative field such as mathematics, statistics, computer science, or engineering. Some may also require a master's degree in a related field. It is also beneficial to have relevant certifications, such as the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or Financial Risk Manager (FRM) designation.

4. What industries can a quantitative analyst work in?

A quantitative analyst can work in a variety of industries, including finance, banking, insurance, consulting, healthcare, and technology. They are in high demand in industries that require data analysis and decision-making based on data-driven insights.

5. What is the job outlook for quantitative analysts?

The job outlook for quantitative analysts is positive, with a projected growth rate of 33% from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. This is due to the increasing demand for data analysis in various industries and the growing importance of data-driven decision-making.