Preparing for Organic Chemistry: Tips for Reviewing Inorganic Chemistry Concepts

In summary, there is no one-size-fits-all approach to reviewing inorganic chemistry for preparation in organic chemistry. It is recommended to start by solving problems from the original textbook, as this can quickly reveal areas of weakness and provide a guide for where to find information. It is also important to note that while there may not be a dedicated inorganic chemistry course, it is still relevant to the study of organic chemistry and can be reviewed alongside general chemistry. It is recommended to feel confident in one's understanding before enrolling in organic chemistry, as it may involve more complex laboratory equipment.
MichaelBack12
Summary: What’s the best way to review inorganic chem in preparation for OC. Assume zero recall on basic college chem.

Are there study guides, online courses, etc. for this specific purpose?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no "one size fits all" approach, as everyone has its own learning habits and learning style. I would personally start trying to solve problems from the textbook I originally used. Not only it would quickly show what I don't remember, but also I would more or less know where to look for the info in the book. YMMV

Likes symbolipoint
Borek said:
There is no "one size fits all" approach, as everyone has its own learning habits and learning style. I would personally start trying to solve problems from the textbook I originally used. Not only it would quickly show what I don't remember, but also I would more or less know where to look for the info in the book. YMMV
I feel agree with that. Academically as I recall, there was no hardcore Inorganic course to the path of Organic Chemistry course but this does not mean that they are unrelated. Most typically General Chemistry is a rigorous survey course and the next course is the beginning Organic Chemistry course, so one could restudy General Chem from his textbook. If or when one feels well-reviewed, then enroll in Organic Chemistry. In the laboratory activities, O.C. will require the use of more complicated glassware equipment.

1. What is the best way to prepare for organic chemistry?

The best way to prepare for organic chemistry is to start by reviewing the basics of general chemistry, including concepts such as atomic structure, bonding, and chemical reactions. It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with the nomenclature and functional groups commonly found in organic compounds. Practice problems and working through past exams can also be beneficial in preparing for the course.

2. What are some important topics to focus on when studying for organic chemistry?

Some important topics to focus on when studying for organic chemistry include molecular structure and bonding, acid-base reactions, stereochemistry, and mechanisms of organic reactions. It is also important to have a solid understanding of functional groups, as well as their properties and reactions.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in organic chemistry?

One way to improve problem-solving skills in organic chemistry is to practice regularly and work through a variety of problems. It can also be helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps. Additionally, understanding the underlying principles and concepts behind reactions and mechanisms can also aid in problem-solving.

4. Are there any resources or tools that can help with preparing for organic chemistry?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available to help with preparing for organic chemistry. These include textbooks, study guides, online tutorials, and practice problems. Your professor or teaching assistant may also have additional resources or recommendations for study materials.

5. How can I stay organized and keep up with the material in organic chemistry?

Staying organized and keeping up with the material in organic chemistry can be challenging, but there are some strategies that can help. One approach is to create a study schedule and stick to it, setting aside specific times for reviewing notes, practicing problems, and studying for exams. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates and regularly attend office hours or review sessions with your professor or teaching assistant.