Preparing for Physics Preliminary Exams & Retaking PGRE

In summary: I think I would be okay with that.In summary, the Physics graduate student is worried about how his low GRE score will affects his chances of being accepted into a graduate school. He is looking for advice on whether to retake the GRE and what resources to use. He also asks for book recommendations for Quantum Mechanics.
neosoul
PF:

So here is the situation. I scored really really low on my Physics GRE. Honestly, I didn't prepare for it as much as I should have. I feel that I have legitimate reasons (one being that around that time, I was being stalked and kept going to security at my school but they said they really couldn't do anything, then this female organization heard about it and kept putting me in counseling. That same person got my phone number from the physics tutoring schedule, and so many strangers were calling me. Even a janitor got fired for trying to get me to meet up with him after finding my number. My family still doesn't know this was going on and they were the other source of my stress). There were so many more things going on, but that's in the past. Plus, I've learned to do better under pressure. I still know that there are people who go through way more than I have that have scored much better than me so I know that it had to have been more than stress holding me back - I need to review physics.

That being said, I'm worried that this will be an indicator of how I will do on the preliminary exams for any school I get accepted into. I've started looking at their sample tests, reviewing certain physics courses, and I've been thinking about retaking the physics GRE. Or is that just a waste of money? I know that it will be too late for graduate schools to see them, but I just feel I have the need to prove to myself that I can do it. I just don't know any materials for the physics GRE other than their sample tests online. I would like a hard copy of something. Do you all have any suggestions. Also, do you have any book suggestions for Quantum Mechanics (my teacher used Shankar but I feel it's not the right fit for me). Lastly, should I just stick to reviewing the test instead of reviewing each course separately (or vise versa)?

ps: Sorry if i got too personal. This was really a venting session for me :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Is retaking the physics GRE a waste of money when it won't do a single thing for you? Yes.

However, as long as the pGRE is your only problem (good grades, exceptional research experience, etc.) then you will likely be okay - if nothing else, some graduate programs don't require the pGRE.

Dishsoap said:
Is retaking the physics GRE a waste of money when it won't do a single thing for you? Yes.

However, as long as the pGRE is your only problem (good grades, exceptional research experience, etc.) then you will likely be okay - if nothing else, some graduate programs don't require the pGRE.

Yeah I have good grades, one paper, great research experience and awesome letters of recommendation (thanks to research experience :D)... I guess I was just trying to prove something to myself...

A lot of schools have gotten rid of written qualifying exams.

What are the best study resources for preparing for Physics preliminary exams?

The best study resources for preparing for Physics preliminary exams are textbooks, lecture notes, practice exams, and online study tools such as flashcards and video tutorials. It is also helpful to attend review sessions or study groups.

How should I structure my study schedule for preparing for Physics preliminary exams?

It is important to start studying early and break up your study sessions into smaller chunks rather than trying to cram all the material at once. Focus on understanding the core concepts and then practice solving problems to reinforce your understanding.

What is the best approach for retaking the PGRE?

The best approach for retaking the PGRE is to review your previous test results and identify areas where you can improve. Focus on those areas while also reviewing the rest of the material. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources or study with a tutor.

How can I manage test anxiety when preparing for Physics preliminary exams?

To manage test anxiety, it is important to stay organized and have a study plan in place. Practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or meditation. Also, make sure to get enough sleep and eat well before the exam to help reduce stress.

What should I do on the day of the Physics preliminary exam?

On the day of the exam, make sure to arrive early and bring all necessary materials such as calculators and pencils. Take a few minutes to relax and review any last-minute notes. During the exam, read each question carefully and manage your time wisely. Don't panic if you encounter difficult questions, just focus on doing your best.