Preparing for the New MCAT: What Science Classes Should You Take?

In summary: Overall, it is important to have a well-rounded understanding of the scientific principles and concepts that will be covered on the MCAT exam, so taking a variety of courses in different areas can be beneficial. In summary, the best way to prepare for the new MCAT exam is to take courses related to psychology and sociology, as well as other related fields, in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of the scientific principles covered on the exam.
TheAbsoluTurk
It's been announced recently that the MCAT exam will have sections on psychology and sociology on its own exam component.

For those starting undergraduate studies in the fall, and probably 2nd year students as well, what is the best strategy to prepare for the new exam? Pick sociology and psychology courses as your degree's 'arts option?'

In general, what would you (academics, medical students, those who have taken the test) say are the most important science classes to take?

I plan to be working on a biochemistry degree so two semesters of physics, biology, chemistry, English and organic chemistry each and one semester of calculus are required in addition to the many biochemistry classes I will take.

There is room for some non-biochemistry classes. So what should an aspiring medical student take?

Physiology, microbiology, genetics, cell biology? Should one take just introductory classes in these fields or does the MCAT require taking further classes in some or any of these classes?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best strategy to prepare for the new exam is to take courses related to both psychology and sociology, particularly those that will help you gain a better understanding of the scientific principles underlying the topics. This could include courses such as Introduction to Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Social Psychology, and Introduction to Sociology. Additionally, it would be beneficial to take classes in other related fields such as anthropology, economics, and linguistics. Taking additional courses in these fields can help you better understand and analyze the material covered in the MCAT exam. Additionally, depending on the school you are attending, there may be more advanced courses available in these fields which can help provide further knowledge and preparation for the exam.

1. What is the new MCAT?

The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is a standardized exam used for admission to medical schools in the United States and Canada. It assesses a student's knowledge and understanding of basic scientific concepts, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.

2. What science classes should I take to prepare for the new MCAT?

The new MCAT covers four main science subjects: biology, biochemistry, general chemistry, and organic chemistry. It is recommended to take courses in each of these subjects as well as courses in physics, psychology, and sociology to fully prepare for the exam.

3. Are there any specific topics I should focus on in these science classes?

Yes, the new MCAT places a strong emphasis on the integration of scientific concepts and their application to real-world problems. Therefore, it is important to have a strong foundation in fundamental concepts such as molecular biology, genetics, and cellular processes.

4. Can I take online or community college science classes to prepare for the new MCAT?

While online and community college science classes can provide a basic understanding of scientific concepts, it is recommended to take these courses at a four-year university. This will ensure a more comprehensive and in-depth understanding of the material, which is crucial for success on the MCAT.

5. How long should I spend preparing for the new MCAT?

The amount of time needed to prepare for the MCAT varies for each individual. However, most students spend 3-4 months studying for the exam, with an average of 300-350 hours of studying. It is important to create a study schedule and stick to it in order to cover all the necessary material and adequately prepare for the exam.