Prerequisites for Learning Game Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to self-teach a course in game theory and the need for prerequisite knowledge and affordable resources. It is suggested that a course on Coursera may be suitable and that many game theory courses do not require advanced mathematical knowledge. A recommendation for a book from Dover is also mentioned.
Aero51
Hey, I am looking to teaching myself a new subject along with statistical mechanics. I am very interested in some of the implications of game theory and the notion that we can approximately quantify and predict decisions made by large groups of people. Unfortunatly, as an engineering graduate my "advanced" (to a math major) mathematics background is limited to 1 class on nonlinear systems and 1 class on probability. As the title suggest, I would like to know some of the prereq's for a self taught course in Game Theory and a reliable and CHEAP book as teaching material.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Nobody...?

The description of the course below sounds very close to what you are looking for and might be at your level. The class started a couple of days ago but they might still let you in. You asked for CHEAP and free from a first tier university doesn't get any better than that.

https://www.coursera.org/#course/gametheory

Nice. Just my 2cents, a good number of game theory courses require very little mathematical knowledge. (Don't get me wrong, some can require a good bit!), but for a first course in game theory, a lot of the course is getting you familiar with the concepts you'll encounter, not so much the rigor behind it. Thus you can find such courses spread out through various departments like biology, economics, business, etc.

As for books, I can't remember the title but dover book has a nice one in their catalog that is typical and an easy to read book.

*I don't know you mathematical ability but assuming you can deal with matrices and read and work with set theory, you should be fine.

As a scientist with a background in mathematics and statistics, I can understand your interest in learning game theory and its applications in predicting decision-making by large groups of people. Game theory is a complex subject that requires a strong foundation in mathematics, statistics, and economics. Some of the prerequisites for learning game theory include:

1. Linear algebra: Game theory involves analyzing strategic interactions between players, which can be represented using matrices. A good understanding of linear algebra is essential for understanding these concepts.

2. Calculus: Game theory involves solving optimization problems, which requires a good understanding of calculus.

3. Probability and statistics: Game theory involves analyzing the likelihood of different outcomes and predicting decisions based on probabilities. A good understanding of probability and statistics is necessary for this.

4. Microeconomics: Game theory is closely related to microeconomics, which studies individual decision-making and how it affects the overall economy. A basic understanding of microeconomics will help you grasp the concepts of game theory better.

As for a recommended book for self-study, I would suggest "Game Theory: A Nontechnical Introduction" by Morton D. Davis. It provides a comprehensive and easy-to-understand introduction to game theory without requiring an extensive mathematical background. Additionally, there are many online resources and video lectures available that can supplement your learning.

I would also recommend practicing with real-world examples and applying game theory concepts to different scenarios to enhance your understanding. Overall, learning game theory requires dedication and a strong foundation in mathematics and economics, but it can be a rewarding and fascinating subject to study. Good luck with your self-study journey!

Related to Prerequisites for Learning Game Theory

1. What background knowledge is needed to learn game theory?

To understand game theory, you should have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in algebra and calculus. Additionally, knowledge of economics, statistics, and probability will be helpful.

2. Can game theory be learned without prior knowledge of economics?

While having prior knowledge of economics can be helpful, it is not a prerequisite for learning game theory. Game theory can be understood and applied using mathematical models and concepts from other fields, such as psychology and political science.

3. Is it necessary to have programming skills to learn game theory?

No, programming skills are not necessary to learn game theory. However, some knowledge of programming can be beneficial in implementing and analyzing game theory models and experiments.

4. What are some good resources for learning game theory?

There are many resources available for learning game theory, including textbooks, online courses, and academic journals. Some popular textbooks include "Game Theory: An Introduction" by Steven Tadelis and "Strategy: An Introduction to Game Theory" by Joel Watson.

5. How can game theory be applied in real-life situations?

Game theory has a wide range of applications in various fields, including economics, politics, biology, and psychology. It can be used to analyze and understand decision-making in strategic interactions, such as in business negotiations, international relations, and sports competitions.