Prerequisites for learning MSSM --> proton decay prediction?

In summary: It's a good starting point, but I think you'll find that the level of understanding required to follow the arguments in that book is much greater than what you need for this conversation. In summary, you need to brush up on the basics of QFT before you tackle the more complicated theories such as the MSSM.
Anchovy
Hi all,

I'm attempting to write something on proton decay (specifically in the [itex]p \rightarrow K^{+} \nu[/itex] channel) and need to understand some theory that predicts it. I'm under the impression that the MSSM is the most straightforward theory. However, I look through introductory texts/documents and I get lost almost immediately in a jungle of symbols and terminology that the author always assumes are understood. I'm wondering what I need to brush up on first before I tackle this stuff, and perhaps if anyone knows of any good resources to get me up and running?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your current level of understanding in theoretical particle physics?

What do you mean with "write something"? What is your educational background, what is "something" supposed to be?

Edit: Orodruin was faster.

Orodruin said:
What is your current level of understanding in theoretical particle physics?

Well I'm a postgrad student, I've done courses in introductory QFT, QED, standard model etc. but that was a long time ago now, long enough to have forgotten it all. I'm looking through these texts and seeing so many things I'm vaguely familiar with but no longer remember the meaning of. So I'm not a complete beginner but I do need to cover the basics again in a timely manner.

mfb said:
What do you mean with "write something"? What is your educational background, what is "something" supposed to be?

Edit: Orodruin was faster.

Actually it's going to go into an early chapter of my PhD thesis. I've been able to ignore the underlying theory up till this point, I don't need to write a huge amount but I need to understand something.

Last edited:
If you can write any theory, why pick MSSM? Why not SU(5)?

Vanadium 50 said:
If you can write any theory, why pick MSSM? Why not SU(5)?

Well maybe SU(5) is the one for me, my intention was to go for the most ubiqiutous one, I was under the impression that that might've been MSSM.

Well I don't think MSSM alone predicts proton decay (at least when R-parity is applied)... I think in the MSSM you have to get some GUT no matter what, to get proton decay (like the Supersymmetric SU(5) GUT).

SUSY has B-violating terms, and R-parity blocks it, SU(5) give sproton decay; usually too much.

It doesn't necessarily need sproton but also proton decay.
One diagram that can lead to such a decay ([itex]ud \rightarrow \bar{s} \bar{\nu}[/itex] or [itex]p \rightarrow K^+ \bar{\nu}_i[/itex]) is given below. Where the internal lines contain Yukawa couplings of the higgsino triplets [itex]\tilde{h}^{(3)}_1,\tilde{h}^{(3)}_2[/itex] to light squarks ([itex]\tilde{u}_{Li}[/itex]) and sleptons ([itex]\tilde{e}_{Lj}[/itex]) and the GUT partners of the MSSM higgsinos ([itex]\tilde{\chi}_k[/itex]).
Of course one can find comments about such processes. Figure was taken from M.Drees's "Theory and Phenomenology of sParticles" pg.301 I think, fig.12.8.
OPer:You can have a look in that book if you like.

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 373

1. What is MSSM and why is it important in predicting proton decay?

MSSM stands for Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model, which is a theoretical framework in particle physics that extends the Standard Model by incorporating supersymmetry. It is important in predicting proton decay because it provides a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe, and allows for the possibility of proton decay through its inclusion of supersymmetric particles.

2. What are the prerequisites for learning MSSM and predicting proton decay?

A strong foundation in quantum mechanics, particle physics, and field theory is necessary for understanding MSSM and predicting proton decay. Familiarity with the Standard Model and its mathematical formalism is also important, as well as knowledge of supersymmetry and its implications.

3. How does MSSM differ from the Standard Model in terms of predicting proton decay?

The Standard Model does not include supersymmetry, which is necessary for predicting proton decay. MSSM extends the Standard Model by including supersymmetric particles, which can interact with protons and potentially lead to their decay. MSSM also predicts a longer lifetime for protons compared to the Standard Model.

4. Are there any experimental results that support MSSM's prediction of proton decay?

Currently, there is no conclusive experimental evidence for proton decay, and no direct evidence for supersymmetric particles. However, there have been experiments, such as the Super-Kamiokande experiment, that have placed limits on the lifetime of protons, which are consistent with predictions from MSSM.

5. Are there any potential implications of proton decay predicted by MSSM?

If proton decay is observed and confirmed to follow the predictions of MSSM, it would provide strong evidence for the existence of supersymmetric particles and potentially lead to a better understanding of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe. It could also have implications for our understanding of the Big Bang and the early universe.