Prerequistes for landau/lifshitz mechanics

• Thread starter battousai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, Landau/Lifgarbagez is a fairly accessible introduction to classical mechanics. If you have taken calculus 1-3 and linear algebra, you should be able to follow along.
battousai
hi everyone. for the summer, I'm planning to go through the first book in the landau/lifgarbagez series, which is mechanics i believe.

I am wondering about the prerequisites for being able to successfully understand the material (physics, math, etc.)

my background: I took ap physics c: mechanics (calc-based introductory mechanics) a couple of years ago. I did pretty well in the class, got As and 5 on the test. but I haven't taken a physics class since, and i mightve gotten pretty rusty. shouldn't be too hard to get me back up to speed though.

i have taken calc 1-3 and linear algebra. i am taking differential equations (basic ODE) right now.

do I have sufficient background to plow through landau? or should I read a relatively easier textbook (suggestions?) first?

Physics news on Phys.org
How does fowles compare to, say marion and thornton, or taylor?

On the first page Landau introduces generalized coordinates and on the 2nd page he discusses the least action principle. In principle you have the pre-requisites but you might want to have several other sources at hand while you're studying in case you get stuck and need other perspectives.

These:
http://www.pa.msu.edu/courses/phy233b/VideoLectures.html
http://www.pa.msu.edu/courses/2010fall/PHY321/VideoLectures/
would get you more than up to speed while these:
http://nptel.iitm.ac.in/courses/115106068/
introduce Lagrangian & Hamiltonian mechanics based on exactly your background so that you could then watch these:
http://www.ictp.tv/diploma/search.php?activityid=PHY&course=Classical_Mechanics&order=olderfirst
which are closely based off of Landau & Goldstein.
Other lectures like these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twaCptP4drM&feature=related
http://www.digital-university.org/mechanics
are also good to have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you taken a vector calculus course? If you have, then I would still advise a slightly less advanced book. Fowles is my personal favorite and would be good for your background. If you have not taken vector calculus, you should study that alongside mechanics, or even do a week of quick overview of Lagrange multipliers, multiple integrals, etc.

If you make it though Fowles, or feel that it is too slow, then there is no problem with picking up Landau and reading it instead or on the side.

Broccoli21 said:
Have you taken a vector calculus course? If you have, then I would still advise a slightly less advanced book. Fowles is my personal favorite and would be good for your background. If you have not taken vector calculus, you should study that alongside mechanics, or even do a week of quick overview of Lagrange multipliers, multiple integrals, etc.

If you make it though Fowles, or feel that it is too slow, then there is no problem with picking up Landau and reading it instead or on the side.

i noted in my op that I have taken calculus 3 already, which includes lagrange multipliers, partial derivatives, and vector analysis (line/surface integral, green's and stokes's theorem).

I checked my school library and they have the following books: fowles, taylor, morin, and symon. the analytic mechanics class in my school uses marion and thornton. Do you know if these books are of the same level more or less? or is fowles easier or harder than the other four?

The thing about the Landau and Lifgarbagez classical mechanics book is that it is really terse and elegant. It is much better for summing up things that you already know than explaining them in an expository manner in the first place.

I recommend watching Leonard Susskind's stellar video series on classical mechanics* first. I generally learn better from books than videos but these talks are outstanding. Once you do that, Landau & Lifgarbagez will shed additional light on the subject as well as addressing more sophisticated problems.

* Unfortunately I am not allowed to include a link because I have not reached ten posts. Maybe someone else can follow up with the link. There are two versions; you probably want the second ("Modern Physics: Classical Mechanics (Fall 2011)") because the video is higher quality.

battousai said:
i noted in my op that I have taken calculus 3 already, which includes lagrange multipliers, partial derivatives, and vector analysis (line/surface integral, green's and stokes's theorem).

I checked my school library and they have the following books: fowles, taylor, morin, and symon. the analytic mechanics class in my school uses marion and thornton. Do you know if these books are of the same level more or less? or is fowles easier or harder than the other four?
Oops, I must have missed that. I used Marion/Thornton before, and it's probably around the same level as fowles. Taylor is a bit too easy/lacks rigor in my opinion, and I have not used Symon before. You might want to check out Goldstein as well - its a bit more advanced and on the level of Landau, but goes into more detail with the explanations. As the previous poster noted, Landau is good if you already have some background in the subject.

Oh, and here is a link to the Susskins lectures:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL47F408D36D4CF129&feature=plpp

I personally think that they might be too shallow - best to just watch them for fun while studying the material in more depth with a book (or with some of the lectures sponsoredwalk linked you to). The IIT lectures (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5E4E56893588CBA8) are much better in my opinion.

battousai said:

Symon is a classic text and is a bit more sophisticated than Fowles. I'm not familiar with the others, but obviously if you intend to take the course that uses M&T, it would be helpful to be familiar with that book.

1. What is the purpose of studying prerequisites for Landau/Lifshitz Mechanics?

The purpose of studying prerequisites for Landau/Lifshitz Mechanics is to build a strong foundation in the fundamental concepts and mathematical tools necessary for understanding the laws of mechanics as presented in the Landau/Lifshitz textbook. These prerequisites include topics such as calculus, linear algebra, and classical mechanics.

2. Do I need to have prior knowledge of physics to study the prerequisites for Landau/Lifshitz Mechanics?

While it is helpful to have a basic understanding of physics concepts, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of physics to study the prerequisites for Landau/Lifshitz Mechanics. The prerequisites cover the necessary mathematical tools and concepts in detail, making it accessible to students from a variety of backgrounds.

3. What specific topics are covered in the prerequisites for Landau/Lifshitz Mechanics?

The prerequisites for Landau/Lifshitz Mechanics cover topics such as vectors and tensors, differential equations, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, and special relativity. These topics are essential for understanding the material presented in the Landau/Lifshitz textbook.

4. Are there any recommended resources for studying the prerequisites for Landau/Lifshitz Mechanics?

While the Landau/Lifshitz textbook itself provides a thorough explanation of the prerequisites, some students may find it helpful to use supplemental resources such as online lectures or practice problems. Some popular resources include MIT's online course on Classical Mechanics and Khan Academy's videos on vectors and matrices.

5. How can I assess my understanding of the prerequisites for Landau/Lifshitz Mechanics?

One way to assess your understanding of the prerequisites for Landau/Lifshitz Mechanics is to practice solving problems and exercises related to the topics covered. Many textbooks and online resources provide practice problems and solutions to help you gauge your understanding. You can also seek feedback from a teacher or tutor to identify any areas that may need further improvement.