Thoughts on General Relativity by Hobson?

In summary, the individual has a mathematics degree and is interested in learning General Relativity. They have exposure to multivariable calculus, real analysis, abstract algebra, and complex variables, but not differential geometry. They have also taken a class on QM and read through a classical mechanics book. They are looking for a book with motivation and examples and want to know how Hobson's book compares to others such as Hartle, Schutz, and Carroll. Suggestions are given to check out previews and possibly get Hartle and another book.
jacobianofthevilla
Background: I'm about to graduate with a mathematics degree(in the US), hence I have exposure to multivariable calculus, real analysis, abstract algebra, complex variables etc (no differential geometry however). I have also taken a class on QM(using Griffiths) and I saw some SR during a Modern Physics class. I read through Taylor's classical mechanics book last summer as well.

Motivation: I want to learn General Relativity as I have always found it fascinating

So, what do you guys think of General Relativity by Hobson? Ideally, I want a book which provides lots of motivation and examples , I don't usually like terse and dry books. Also, how does this book compare to Hartle, Schutz, and Carroll?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like there are no thoughts on the topic :-)

Anyway, there are a lot of PF threads dealing with your question. Just pay some effort and look for them.
As for me, I have got both Schutz and Hobson. IMHO they are a valuable introduction to the GR.

From what you said
jacobianofthevilla said:
I don't usually like terse and dry books.
I honestly recommend Hobson to you.

Btw, I don't pay much attention to Amazon customer ratings. The customer spectrum is too wide, a lot of opinions have no connection to the quality of the textbook and they often completely ruin the result of the rating.

Some random examples:
5* reviews:
“Bought for my son. He loved it.”
“Great conditions!”

1* reviews:
“This book is a bit too professional ...”
“Bought new and the book looks like it's been dragged onto the floor.”

jacobianofthevilla said:
Background: I'm about to graduate with a mathematics degree(in the US), hence I have exposure to multivariable calculus, real analysis, abstract algebra, complex variables etc (no differential geometry however). I have also taken a class on QM(using Griffiths) and I saw some SR during a Modern Physics class. I read through Taylor's classical mechanics book last summer as well.

Motivation: I want to learn General Relativity as I have always found it fascinating

So, what do you guys think of General Relativity by Hobson? Ideally, I want a book which provides lots of motivation and examples , I don't usually like terse and dry books. Also, how does this book compare to Hartle, Schutz, and Carroll?

Hartle may be a good choice as he minimises the mathematics. It may be especially good for you if you want to learn GR out of personal interest. If you were going to do graduate work in GR, then you would be better off with the more heavily mathematical texts.

Likes smodak
I really like Hartle. Caroll and Hobson are also great! I never liked Schutz. Why don't you take a look at the previews and see what works for you best? Or just get Hartle and another book.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I guess I will check out Hobson and see how I feel about it.

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravitation that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It is a mathematical framework that describes the effects of gravity on space and time.

2. How does General Relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

While Newton's theory of gravity described gravity as a force between masses, General Relativity explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects.

3. What are some of the key principles of General Relativity?

Some key principles of General Relativity include the principle of equivalence, which states that the effects of gravity are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration, and the principle of general covariance, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers regardless of their motion.

4. How has General Relativity been tested and confirmed?

General Relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed through various experiments and observations, such as the bending of light by massive objects, the precession of Mercury's orbit, and the gravitational redshift of light.

5. What are some current areas of research and debate in General Relativity?

Some current areas of research and debate in General Relativity include its compatibility with quantum mechanics, the nature and properties of black holes, and the possibility of gravitational waves. There is also ongoing research on the implications of General Relativity for cosmology and the structure of the universe.