Presidential candidate in India

• News
  • Thread starter siddharth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    India
In summary, the leading candidate for the presidency of India, Prathiba Patil, has been accused of financial irregularities. apart from that, she has no qualifications or policies that speak to her chances of being a good president. The only ones who seem to have faith in her are the previous presidents, who are all aging and frail. The quacks who get into our system and bleed it dry are killing the rest of us.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In the near future, the members of parliment of the Indian government are set to elect a new president, who'd replace Abdul Kalam (a scientist) as the president of India. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6748839.stm)

I recently found out that the leading candidate (who has the backing of the majority of the ruling party), Prathiba Patil, claims to have http://www.rediff.com/news/2007/jun/27prezpoll.htm" .

Apart from that, there are the usual allegations of corruption that goes in every politicians resume. In her case, there's some factual evidence that the bank she owned had it's license revoked because of financial irregularities, such as giving huge loans to relatives who didn't repay, etc (http://www.indianexpress.com/story/202794.html").

I think it's such a pity that they are forcing out a scientist and replacing him with someone who claims to speak with dead people. I don't know about her, but generally, I'd consider people who claim to speak to dead people (without evidence) as delusional

What's really funny (or depressing), is that no one actually cares about her policies or qualifications. One bunch of politicians are backing her cause of her gender (If you don't support her, you're against the cause of women!). Another bunch? Cause she's from Maharashtra, just like us!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Who isn't corrupt and/or delusional? Those with the power make her look like an amateur. Abdul Kalam used his position to the fullest and it is unfortunate that he won't be running for a second term.

What's really funny (or depressing), is that no one actually cares about her policies or qualifications.
And this hasn't happened before? (generally speaking)

neutrino said:
Who isn't corrupt and/or delusional? Those with the power make her look like an amateur. Abdul Kalam used his position to the fullest and it is unfortunate that he won't be running for a second term.

That's true. There are people who are much much worse, like Arjun Singh. I'm very frustrated that they didn't consider a second term for Kalam.

And this hasn't happened before? (generally speaking)

Well, considering previous presidents, surely not to this extent? I mean, claiming to talk to dead people?

You're right. Its a disgrace that we allow our politicians to get away with the things they do. Its disgusting.

The only two people who I have any faith in our system are Manmohan Singh and Abdul Kalam. I actually met the guy for about 45 seconds on Gandhi Jayanti last year, but the guy looked so frail, it was almost a miracle he was standing. It would be sad if he didn't get re elected for that post.

All the quacks who get into our system and bleed it dry are killing the rest of us. The other day, I met a guy who's a noted authority on alternate energy resources and graduated from DCE. He's lived the last 14 years of his life hopping from one country to another and he told me that a lot of the Indians go abroad do so because the system F***S them over again and again, so they take the first chance they have to go abroad. Our own people arent valued here... it totally pisses me off!

Related to Presidential candidate in India

Question 1: What is the eligibility criteria for a Presidential candidate in India?

To be eligible for the position of President in India, a candidate must be a citizen of India, be at least 35 years old, and should not hold any office of profit under the government or under any state government.

Question 2: How is the President of India elected?

The President of India is elected by an electoral college which consists of elected members of both houses of Parliament and elected members of the legislative assemblies of all states and union territories.

Question 3: What are the powers and duties of the President of India?

The President of India is the head of state and has the power to appoint the Prime Minister and other members of the Council of Ministers, summon and prorogue sessions of Parliament, and has veto power over bills passed by the Parliament. The President also acts as the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces and has the power to declare a state of emergency.

Question 4: Can a President in India be removed from office?

Yes, a President in India can be removed from office through impeachment by Parliament for violation of the Constitution. The President can also resign from their position by submitting their resignation to the Vice President.

Question 5: How long is the term of a President in India?

The term of office for a President in India is five years, and they can only serve a maximum of two consecutive terms. After completing their term, they can continue to hold office until a successor is elected and takes oath.