Presidential debate #1 Who will you vote for?

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the first presidential debate did not change my mind as to who I am voting for. Obama came across as being more intelligent and convincing than McCain.

Presidential debate - Who are you voting for?

• Total voters
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Ok, this is the promised poll after the first debate.

This again is for Americans only to match it to the first poll. Non-Americans will have a separate poll.

Since poll options are limited, this is going to be multiple choice.

1) Who are you voting for

2) Did the debate change your mind

3) Did the debate reinforce your original choice?

This will be an open poll so that I can match the answers.

Physics news on Phys.org

What about Ivan's thread?

As I stated in the other thread I was a bit disappointed. It doesn't change my mind though.

TheStatutoryApe said:
What about Ivan's thread?

As I stated in the other thread I was a bit disappointed. It doesn't change my mind though.
My poll is the one that will be used to compare poll results to the first poll. You can also vote in Ivan's thread if you want.

Ivan's poll is asking who you think won the debate. This poll is about who you are voting for and did the debate affect your decision.

I guess since I didn't have high expectations from Obama, I wasn't dissapointed. I don't think there was a winner, but Obama improved enough that I now no longer have hesitations about him.

Evo said:
My poll is the one that will be used to compare poll results to the first poll. You can also vote in Ivan's thread if you want.

Ivan's poll is asking who you think won the debate. This poll is about who you are voting for and did the debate affect your decision.

I guess since I didn't have high expectations from Obama, I wasn't dissapointed. I don't think there was a winner, but Obama improved enough that I now no longer have hesitations about him.

I agree: I didn't feel that the debate was any more than a stalemate.

However, Obama definitely comes across (to me anyway) as always being the calm, cool, collected intellectual.

The feeling I almost always get from watching McCain is that he uses the same political buzz words that I've been hearing for most of my life.

As a matter of fact: any time that any politician tries to remind me of how much he or she has cut taxes, I just, frankly, immediately do not believe them.

The funniest part of the debate to me was how Jim Lehrer kept rephrasing the question of their stance on the economy; and yet neither of them really went into specific answers.

It was to the point almost that he might as well have said, "Do you think the Economy sucks; yes or no?" And they still wouldn't have said yea or nay, either of them.

FrancisZ said:
It was to the point almost that he might as well have said, "Do you think the Economy sucks; yes or no?" And they still wouldn't have said yea or nay, either of them.
I agree. The debate was supposed to be about Foreign Affairs, but was switched to a discussion of the economy at the last minute due to the bailout and I don't feel that either candidate was ready to debate on the subject. All I heard was more of the same stuff they had already said earlier in their campaigns.

I did like when Obama said that "The problem with a spending freeze is you're using a hatchet where you need a scalpel," in response to McCain saying he would just blindly and without thought impose a spending freeze.

Evo said:
I agree. The debate was supposed to be about Foreign Affairs, but was switched to a discussion of the economy at the last minute due to the bailout and I don't feel that either candidate was ready to debate on the subject. All I heard was more of the same stuff they had already said earlier in their campaigns.

McCain people think he did better on Foreign Policy in the debate, so they want some of the time back that got spent on the Economy from the debate that is nominally supposed to actually be on the Economy.

The McCain campaign looks almost exclusively devoted to news cycles and cultivated images, without all that much regard for pushing actual policies or distinguishing himself from the current 8 years of disastrous policies.

Time says that Obama won.

Grading the First Presidential Debate

McCain Overall grade: B-

Obama Overall grade: A-

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20080927/us_time/gradingthefirstpresidentialdebate;_ylt=AsPhYgwuplpKjNWVOIa_x0dH2ocA

Last edited by a moderator:
And now for the wardrobe:

Obama: A+
Suit was impeccably tailored. Nice color and fabric. Good tie choice.

McCain: B
Suit was a little frumpy and tended to ridge up in the back a bit when his arm went up and down. Color wasn't bad, though. Poor choice on that peppermint stripe tie - much too busy for the camera.

Good sleeve length on both suits. Just long enough that neither had to reveal that a bracelet was actually being worn during that "soldier's bracelet" exchange.

Math Is Hard said:
And now for the wardrobe:

Obama: A+
Suit was impeccably tailored. Nice color and fabric. Good tie choice.

McCain: B
Suit was a little frumpy and tended to ridge up in the back a bit when his arm went up and down. Color wasn't bad, though. Poor choice on that peppermint stripe tie - much too busy for the camera.

Good sleeve length on both suits. Just long enough that neither had to reveal that a bracelet was actually being worn during that "soldier's bracelet" exchange.
:rofl:

This is why I love you MIH. :smile:

Perhaps we should have the "MIH Reports".

Yes, I also noticed that the armhole on McCain's suit was poorly tailored and his whole suit would awkwardly rise up when he raised his arm. It probably cost him 3-5% points in the polls.

Math Is Hard said:

Isn't that the truth. Obama's was clearly a mocking of McCain's stupidly repeated story that he has been using all year. I was disappointed that either of them went so cornball. But McCain is so swept up in his own hagiography, as to think that he has to regurgitate these sloppily sentimental vignettes to self glorify himself that it is simply unseemly.

He was shot down. He was a POW. He served his country with honor. Time to get over it and tell us what he's going to do for us now? (Other than push for more tax cuts and promote even more deregulation into the face of this current crisis arising already from under regulation.)

Last edited:
Evo said:
Yes, I also noticed that the armhole on McCain's suit was poorly tailored and his whole suit would awkwardly rise up when he raised his arm. It probably cost him 3-5% points in the polls.

I think that his suits don't fit more from the fact of his POW injuries than poor tailoring. The stiffness in raising his arms relates I think to unset broken arm, so I don't put a lot of account into his being sartorily challenged.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Perhaps we should have the "MIH Reports".
Call it - M Eye H Reports.

I know - it's lame. But it seemed funny for a few seconds.

With regard to cristo's comment about where McCain focussed his attention, all I could think of was 'deer in headlights'.

LowlyPion said:
I think that his suits don't fit more from the fact of his POW injuries than poor tailoring. The stiffness in raising his arms relates I think to unset broken arm, so I don't put a lot of account into his being statutorily challenged.
Hey, I have an unset broken arm too. It looks like a bird wing when I try to hold it straight. It's been broken 4 times and my clothes fit. :grumpy: Don't try to make excuses for using a bad tailor, this is important stuff.

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
And now for the wardrobe:...

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Who had the nicest hair?

I'm just surprised that Cyrus hasn't weighed in on the fashion angle yet. He's the real maven.

Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Who had the nicest hair?

I thought both had nice hair, but now that you mention it, there are some serious maintenance differences to consider. McCain has longer and more fine textured hair. He really needs time with a proper stylist to keep it looking nice. Obama has a clean, tight, low maintenance style. Michelle can just give him a few quick passes with the Flow-bee and he's good to go.

Math Is Hard said:
I'm just surprised that Cyrus hasn't weighed in on the fashion angle yet. He's the real maven.
Cyrus would definitely have to be a fashion commentator on the MIH Report.

Obama has a clean, tight, low maintenance style. Michelle can just give him a few quick passes with the Flow-bee and he's good to go.

Evo said:

My daughter noted this too. She said it looked like he forgot to remove the hanger before putting it on.

Math Is Hard said:

I thought both had nice hair, but now that you mention it, there are some serious maintenance differences to consider. McCain has longer and more fine textured hair. He really needs time with a proper stylist to keep it looking nice. Obama has a clean, tight, low maintenance style. Michelle can just give him a few quick passes with the Flow-bee and he's good to go.

Actually, you read my mind. When I watched it last night I thought to myself, interesting tie McCain. I agree, it's way too busy as it was distracting listening to him talk with that barber-poll tie. It's a nice silk tie, but too busy for the camera. Usually, one guy wears a red tie and the other guy wears a solid blue tie.

Another interesting fashion note, McCain didn't have that little american flag on his lapel.

How unamerican! THEY TOOK OUR JOBSS!

McCain told an impressive story about Eisenhower taking responsibility and writing a letter of resignation after Normandy. McCain insinuated that people in power should take responsibility as Ike had done.

That being the case Bush would have a lot of writing to do. CEO's will write a note saying "bye bye suckers."

McCain had his history wrong. Ike wrote a note taking responsibility for Normandy but he certainly didn't resign.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/744/

LowlyPion said:
McCain people think he did better on Foreign Policy in the debate, so they want some of the time back that got spent on the Economy from the debate that is nominally supposed to actually be on the Economy.

Not for anything, but: wasn't he mispronouncing "Ahmadinejad?" Sound more to me like he was saying Ak-me-di-ne-jad. So he won that portion of the debate?

So much for diplomacy. "Back off Ak-med! Or whatever your name is."

1. Who are the candidates participating in the first presidential debate?

The candidates participating in the first presidential debate are Donald Trump, the incumbent president, and Joe Biden, the Democratic nominee.

2. When and where will the first presidential debate take place?

The first presidential debate will take place on September 29, 2020 at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.

3. How many presidential debates are scheduled for the 2020 election?

There are currently three presidential debates scheduled for the 2020 election. The first one will be on September 29, followed by October 15 and October 22.

4. Will there be any changes to the format of the presidential debates due to COVID-19?

Yes, the Commission on Presidential Debates has announced that the first debate will have a limited audience and the candidates will not shake hands. The format may also include social distancing measures.

5. Can third-party candidates participate in the presidential debates?

In order to participate in the presidential debates, a candidate must meet certain criteria set by the Commission on Presidential Debates, which includes being on the ballot in enough states to potentially win the election and having at least 15% support in national polls.