Pressure at bottom of oil drum

In summary, the problem involves a vertical cylindrical container containing 5590 gallons of gasoline with a radius of 1.38 m. Due to evaporation, the pressure on the top of the fluid is 2.5 times normal atmospheric pressure. The density of gasoline is 737 kg/m3. To find the height of the cylinder, the volume is first converted to liters and the cylinder volume equation is used. Then, the pressure is found using the equation P = Po + ρgh, taking into account the gauge pressure. The incorrect result may be due to incorrect unit conversions or a misunderstanding of the cylinder being closed instead of open.
tensor0910
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[/B]
A vertical cylindrical container contains 5590 gallons of gasoline and is 1.38 m in radius. Due to evaporation within the tank, the pressure on the top of the fluid is 2.5 times normal atmospheric pressure. The density of gasoline is 737 kg/m3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
converted gallons to Liters: 5590 gallons x 3.785L/1 gallon = 21160 L

Found the height of cylinder: Vcylinder = πr2h

21160/(π×1.382) = 3536m

Solve for Pressure using P = Po + ρgh

= (101300 Pa × 2.5) + (737×9.8×3536)

Plugged it all in and it was...wrong. :-/

Only thing I suspect may be wrong is the units I'm suppose to be using ( cm instead of m for example ). Or the possibility of the cylinder being closed when I assumed it was open. But everything else to me looks good. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the concept of "gauge pressure."

tensor0910 said:
converted gallons to Liters: 5590 gallons x 3.785L/1 gallon = 21160 L

Found the height of cylinder: Vcylinder = πr2h

21160/(π×1.382) = 3536m

Solve for Pressure using P = Po + ρgh

= (101300 Pa × 2.5) + (737×9.8×3536)

Plugged it all in and it was...wrong. :-/

Only thing I suspect may be wrong is the units I'm suppose to be using ( cm instead of m for example ). Or the possibility of the cylinder being closed when I assumed it was open. But everything else to me looks good. Please help.
Check the units that you're using for the fluid volume. You want to find a cylinder height in meters and the radius is in meters so the cylinder bottom area is in square meters, so the volume should be given in...

Likes Bystander

1. What is the formula for calculating the pressure at the bottom of an oil drum?

The formula for calculating the pressure at the bottom of an oil drum is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid (oil), g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column.

2. How does the depth of the oil in the drum affect the pressure at the bottom?

The depth of the oil in the drum directly affects the pressure at the bottom. As the depth increases, so does the pressure. This is because the weight of the oil above exerts more force on the bottom of the drum.

3. Does the type of oil in the drum affect the pressure at the bottom?

Yes, the type of oil in the drum can affect the pressure at the bottom. Different types of oil have different densities, which will impact the pressure calculation. For example, a drum filled with thicker, more viscous oil will have a higher pressure at the bottom compared to a drum filled with thinner, less dense oil.

4. How does temperature play a role in the pressure at the bottom of an oil drum?

Temperature can also affect the pressure at the bottom of an oil drum. As temperature increases, the molecules in the oil become more energetic and spread out, causing the density to decrease. This results in a decrease in pressure at the bottom of the drum.

5. Is the pressure at the bottom of an oil drum affected by external factors?

The pressure at the bottom of an oil drum can be affected by external factors such as atmospheric pressure and the weight of any objects placed on top of the drum. However, these effects are typically minimal compared to the impact of the depth and type of oil in the drum.