How Can I Solve This Fluid Dynamics Homework Problem?

In summary, the pressures at two points are equal if the height, area, and speed of the fluid are all the same.
Adam Rabe

Homework Statement

Difficult pressure at pipes question.PNG

Homework Equations

AV = AV
P + 1/2*p*v^2 + pgh = P + 1/2*p*v^2 + pgh

The Attempt at a Solution

For a.) ... divide 3 by 0.1 because of (AV = AV) = 30 ms-1. answer is right.
For b.) I am stuck on this one. I tried using the 2nd relevant equation above but i can't seem to find the answer and I am sure i need to use that one. Heres my working out.

Pressure A: P + (0.5 *1000 *3^2) = 5 *10^5... Therefore P = 495500 Pa
Pressure B: P = 495500 + (0.5 *1000 *30^2) + (1000 *10 *1) = 955500 Pa
Answer is 6.5 *10^4... (65000)

For c.) point is located at the same height and same area as A, therefore pressures are equal = 5 * 10^5 Pa. Answer is right

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Adam

Physics news on Phys.org
Adam Rabe said:
Pressure A: P + (0.5 *1000 *3^2) = 5 *10^5... Therefore P = 495500 Pa
You don't seem to understand the Bernoulli equation. P is the pressure at the given point. At A it is 5*10^5 Pa. The other terms are then added to this to get a quantity that is the same throughout the streamline.

haruspex said:
You don't seem to understand the Bernoulli equation. P is the pressure at the given point. At A it is 5*10^5 Pa. The other terms are then added to this to get a quantity that is the same throughout the streamline.
Hello sorry for the late reply.
i think i see where i went wrong...
Using your advice, i added the pressure change due to height and subtracted the pressure difference between the two speeds (as fluid speeds up pressure must drop)

5*10^5 + (1000 *10) - ((0.5 * 1000 * 30^2) - (0.5 * 1000 * 3^2)) = 64500

But I am still 500 Pa off from the right answer, am i on the right track?

Adam Rabe said:
That's what I get. Looks like the answers have been rounded to 2 significant figures.
The question statement is poor. It gives values like "1m2", "5x105Pa". Standard interpretation says these are only accurate to one decimal place. If you follow that through the calculation you find that the answer is indeterminate. E.g. just change the 3m/s to 3.1m/s and you get a much smaller answer. It should quote the values as 3.00m/s etc. to justify 2 sig figs in the answer.

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure at points on a pipe?

The formula for calculating pressure at points on a pipe is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth or height at the point of interest.

2. How does the diameter of a pipe affect the pressure at points along the pipe?

The diameter of a pipe does not directly affect the pressure at points along the pipe. However, it can indirectly affect the pressure by determining the flow rate of the fluid, which in turn can impact the pressure at different points on the pipe.

3. What factors can cause a change in pressure at points on a pipe?

A change in pressure at points on a pipe can be caused by changes in the fluid flow rate, changes in the elevation or depth of the points, changes in the density of the fluid, and changes in the pipe's geometry or construction.

4. How does the type of fluid flowing through a pipe affect the pressure at points on the pipe?

The type of fluid flowing through a pipe can affect the pressure at points on the pipe by changing the fluid's density, viscosity, and other properties. This can impact the flow rate and the distribution of pressure along the pipe.

5. Can the pressure at points on a pipe exceed the fluid's pressure at the source?

Yes, the pressure at points on a pipe can exceed the fluid's pressure at the source if there are obstructions or changes in the pipe's geometry that cause a buildup of pressure. This can also occur in situations where the fluid is being pumped at a higher pressure than its original source.