Pressure distribution for a ducted propeller

In summary, the conversation is discussing the effect of a ducted propeller operating in the air. The NASA article provided is used as a guide to understand the flow of air around the propeller. The main concern is the average pressure of the air affected by the propeller and whether it returns to ambient pressure at the end of the propeller or further downstream. The possibility of enclosing the propeller in a cylindrical tube and its effect on the average pressure is also discussed.
rcgldr
Homework Helper
Rather than going off topic in a thread about inviscid fluid in a pipe, I decided to start a new thread.

For this thread, I'm wondering about the effect of a ducted propeller operating in the air. Using this NASA article as a guide:

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/propanl.html

The article has an idealized graph of the flow, in reality, with the propeller operating in a free stream, the exiting flow will draw the surrounding air to the flow due to viscosity, but the main issue I'm interested in is that the average pressure of the air affected by the fan or propeller doesn't return back down to ambient until some point downstream of the fan or propeller (the exit velocity point). Assume that in a static situation (zero free stream flow) that a particular combination of propeller and power result in this point being about 2 meters downstream of the propeller.

Now consider enclosing the propeller in a 1 meter cylindrical tube (no taper), with the propeller in the middle of the tube. Is the point where the average pressure returns back to ambient reduced from 2 meters to only 1/2 meter (the end of the tube)? I'm also wondering about the viscous interaction between the flow into and out of the tube and the affected air outside the tube.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rcgldr said:
Rather than going off topic in a thread about inviscid fluid in a pipe, I decided to start a new thread.

For this thread, I'm wondering about the effect of a ducted propeller operating in the air. Using this NASA article as a guide:

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/propanl.html

The article has an idealized graph of the flow, in reality, with the propeller operating in a free stream, the exiting flow will draw the surrounding air to the flow due to viscosity, but the main issue I'm interested in is that the average pressure of the air affected by the fan or propeller doesn't return back down to ambient until some point downstream of the fan or propeller (the exit velocity point). Assume that in a static situation (zero free stream flow) that a particular combination of propeller and power result in this point being about 2 meters downstream of the propeller.

Now consider enclosing the propeller in a 1 meter cylindrical tube (no taper), with the propeller in the middle of the tube. Is the point where the average pressure returns back to ambient reduced from 2 meters to only 1/2 meter (the end of the tube)? I'm also wondering about the viscous interaction between the flow into and out of the tube and the affected air outside the tube.
In the other thread, we were talking about a liquid going through the pipe.

Thanks for clarifying .

1. What is pressure distribution for a ducted propeller?

Pressure distribution for a ducted propeller refers to the way in which the pressure changes around the propeller as it rotates. This is important because it affects the performance and efficiency of the propeller, as well as the noise and vibration levels.

2. How is pressure distribution affected by the shape of the duct?

The shape of the duct plays a significant role in the pressure distribution for a ducted propeller. A well-designed duct can help to smooth out the pressure distribution and reduce the effects of cavitation, resulting in better performance and efficiency.

3. How does the speed of the propeller affect the pressure distribution?

The speed of the propeller has a direct impact on the pressure distribution. As the speed increases, the pressure on the front side of the propeller decreases while the pressure on the back side increases. This can lead to cavitation and other performance issues if not properly managed.

4. What factors can cause uneven pressure distribution on a ducted propeller?

Uneven pressure distribution on a ducted propeller can be caused by a variety of factors, including the shape of the duct, the speed of the propeller, and the angle of attack. Other factors such as roughness on the propeller surface or debris in the water can also affect the pressure distribution.

5. How can pressure distribution be optimized for a ducted propeller?

To optimize the pressure distribution for a ducted propeller, engineers use computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations and physical testing to evaluate different designs and determine the most efficient shape for the duct. By carefully designing the duct, the pressure distribution can be optimized to improve performance and reduce noise and vibration levels.