How Does Pressure Affect Dissolved Oxygen in Water Systems?

In summary, the author is looking for information on how to calculate the pressure drop when water is pressurized and air is dissolved in it. Henry's law seems to be the answer they are looking for, but they are not sure how to use it.
fhon
Hello Everyone,

I've been trying to find an answer to this but am not getting anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I need to be able to calculate (or more likely estimate) the pressure drop I can expect when putting water under pressure if I know there is air in the system.

For example if I have a plumbing system that I pressurize to 100 PSI then removed the pressure source. I know how much water is in the system and can estimate how much air is trapped in sections where I can not purge it. I know the pressure will drop as air is dissolved into the water but at what PSI will it reach equilibrium and no longer dissolve air into the water?

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you. Henry's law looks like what I need, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use it to calculate the pressure drop I will have. Sorry to be so needy but any help would really be appreciated

How about this? I've been able to calculate the difference in concentration of air in the solution after applying the 100 PSI to it using Henry's law. Now if I know the previous and current concentration and the volume of water and air I must be able to use some formula for the pressure. Am I on the right track here?

fhon said:
How about this? I've been able to calculate the difference in concentration of air in the solution after applying the 100 PSI to it using Henry's law. Now if I know the previous and current concentration and the volume of water and air I must be able to use some formula for the pressure. Am I on the right track here?
Why don't you specify a problem, and I'll work an example for you? Specify the total amount of water and the total amount of air, and the pressure you want to consider.

1. What is pressure drop and how does it affect dissolved oxygen levels?

Pressure drop refers to the decrease in pressure that occurs as water moves through a system, such as a pipe or filter. This decrease in pressure can lead to a decrease in dissolved oxygen levels because the water is unable to hold as much oxygen when under lower pressure.

2. How does temperature impact pressure drop and dissolved oxygen levels?

Temperature plays a significant role in pressure drop and dissolved oxygen levels. As water temperature increases, the pressure drop also increases, and the ability of the water to hold oxygen decreases. This is because warmer water has a lower solubility for dissolved gases compared to colder water.

3. What factors can cause pressure drop in a system?

Several factors can contribute to pressure drop in a system, including the length and diameter of the pipes, the flow rate of water, and the presence of any obstructions or blockages in the system. Any of these factors can lead to a decrease in pressure and subsequently impact dissolved oxygen levels.

4. How can pressure drop be measured and monitored in a system?

There are various methods for measuring and monitoring pressure drop in a system, including using pressure gauges, flow meters, and data loggers. These tools can provide real-time data on pressure changes and help identify any potential issues that may be affecting dissolved oxygen levels.

5. What are the potential consequences of high pressure drop and low dissolved oxygen levels in a system?

High pressure drop and low dissolved oxygen levels can have significant consequences for aquatic organisms and ecosystems. It can lead to reduced oxygen availability for fish and other aquatic organisms, which can impact their growth, reproduction, and overall health. It can also result in the accumulation of pollutants and nutrients, leading to water quality issues.