Understanding Pressure Changes: Air and Water in Containers

• Thread starter NCC-1701
  • Start date
In summary: When you pressed down on the (rubber?) lid, the increased pressure pushed a little water up into the floating tube (as mentioned above); this reduced its buoyancy, so the little tube would sink. Release the pressure on the lid, and the little tube would rise.
NCC-1701
pressure-Copy.jpg
In the pic I have 2 containers a green one and a red one within, the blue is water and air is white of course, the inside chamber is opened at bottom ,now if I added air to larger container for the sake of argument of 5 psi would the pressure in the interior chamber match the pressure or would it be slightly less or no change at all.
I would believe that it would be the same but then I think of a cave under water which with air trapped would be at a constant pressure because the cave walls take the pressure, I'm confused.
Someone please help me see the logic of the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
NCC-1701 said:
I would believe that it would be the same but then I think of a cave under water which with air trapped would be at a constant pressure because the cave walls take the pressure
The situation with the cave is somewhat different from the scenario in your drawing. In the cave scenario, the atmosphere and sea are essentially open systems, but for the scenario in your drawing, you are increasing the pressure in a closed system. The increased air pressure will expand the air portion, and cause the water in the red tube to exert pressure on the air trapped in it. If you increase the air pressure in the green container by 5 psi, that will increase air pressure in the red tube by the same amount.

Likes Lnewqban
The air in the red container will be roughly at the pressure of the water at the bottom of the green container (assuming the density of air is negligible relative to the density of water). If you add 5 psi to the top of the green container then that will add 5 psi to the bottom of the green container which will add 5 psi to the red container.

Clearly, the air pressure at the bottom is the same as the water pressure. At the top, the pressure is reduced by the weight of the column below it, down to the bottom. The weight of the air column is much smaller than the weight of the water column but is not zero.

Likes Lnewqban
Welcome! :smile:

If you consider the pressure created by the weight of the column of water above the open bottom of the small chamber, the pressure of air inside it should be equal to that weight induced pressure plus the pressure of the air in the top of the large container.
As you increase the air pressure, some water will enter the open bottom, acting as a piston that reduces the volume and compresses the air that is trapped in the small chamber.

Likes FactChecker
Ok I'm happy with the answers and I'll base my design of other components that connect to it accordingly, Thanks

Likes Dale
NCC-1701 said:
Someone please help me see the logic of the correct answer.
As I understand this, the right hand and left hand sides of the outer volume are connected both above and below the water line. Although depicted as separate volumes, the head space on the right and on the left are both part of a single connected volume.

As I understand it, the head space in the inner volume is sealed. Air cannot escape (unless you reduce pressure, in which case, some would bubble out the bottom).

Having forced 5 psi of over pressure in the outer chamber you will, all things being equal, have forced water into the inner chamber. The difference in water height between inside and outside will have been reduced. That means that the pressure differential between the inside chamber head space and outside chamber head space will also have been reduced.

Therefore, the increase in pressure in the inner chamber will be less than 5 psi.

Likes hmmm27, hutchphd, etotheipi and 2 others
jbriggs444 said:
Therefore, the increase in pressure in the inner chamber will be less than 5 psi.

It will be ##\Delta P = 5\text{psi} - \rho g(x_1 + x_2)## if ##x_1## and ##x_2## are the distances that the top surface moved down and the surface inside the inner chamber moved up. If we knew some cross sectional areas and made some assumptions about the gas we could estimate a numerical value.

Likes jbriggs444
There used to be a little toy like this, except that the inner cylinder was freely floating, neutrally buoyant in the liquid. When you pressed down on the (rubber?) lid, the increased pressure pushed a little water up into the floating tube (as mentioned above); this reduced its buoyancy, so the little tube would sink. Release the pressure on the lid, and the little tube would rise. I don't remember what it was called, but the idea was you could make the "diver" go up and down.

Likes Lnewqban
gmax137 said:
There used to be a little toy like this, except that the inner cylinder was freely floating, neutrally buoyant in the liquid. When you pressed down on the (rubber?) lid, the increased pressure pushed a little water up into the floating tube (as mentioned above); this reduced its buoyancy, so the little tube would sink. Release the pressure on the lid, and the little tube would rise. I don't remember what it was called, but the idea was you could make the "diver" go up and down.

Like this?

Likes gmax137
I kind of remember a toy like that as a kid and being fascinated by it. Simple physics but somehow not what normal everyday experience prepares you to expect.

1. What causes pressure changes in air and water in containers?

Pressure changes in air and water in containers are caused by changes in volume, temperature, and the amount of gas or liquid present. When the volume of a container decreases, the pressure inside increases. Similarly, when the temperature of a gas or liquid increases, the pressure also increases. Changes in the amount of gas or liquid present can also affect pressure, as adding more gas or liquid to a container will increase the pressure.

2. How does pressure affect the behavior of air and water in containers?

Pressure plays a critical role in determining the behavior of air and water in containers. When pressure increases, the molecules of gas or liquid become more tightly packed, causing the volume to decrease. This is known as compression. On the other hand, when pressure decreases, the molecules have more room to move, causing the volume to increase. This is known as expansion. Pressure also affects the boiling and freezing points of liquids, as well as the density of gases and liquids.

3. How does the shape and size of a container affect pressure?

The shape and size of a container can have a significant impact on pressure. In a closed container, the pressure is distributed equally throughout the entire volume, regardless of its shape or size. However, in an open container, the pressure is only exerted on the surface of the liquid or gas, and the shape and size of the container can affect the rate at which pressure changes. For example, a tall, narrow container will experience a faster pressure change than a short, wide container.

4. How does altitude affect pressure changes in air and water?

As altitude increases, the pressure of the air decreases. This is because there is less air above us, so there is less weight pushing down on us. This decrease in pressure can also affect the boiling point of water, as the lower pressure makes it easier for water to turn into vapor. In contrast, the pressure of water does not change with altitude, as it is not affected by the weight of the air above it.

5. How can we measure and control pressure changes in air and water?

Pressure can be measured using various instruments, such as barometers and manometers. These devices measure the amount of force exerted by the air or liquid in a container. To control pressure changes, we can adjust the volume, temperature, or amount of gas or liquid in a container. For example, increasing the volume of a container will decrease the pressure, while decreasing the temperature will also decrease the pressure. Additionally, we can use valves or pumps to add or release gas or liquid to control the pressure in a container.