Pressure generated from gasoline combustion

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential pressure generated by combustion of gasoline/air in an internal chamber at atmospheric pressure and the safety concerns surrounding such experiments. The topic revolves around the use of compressed air and gasoline as tools, with the conclusion being that these experiments are dangerous and should not be pursued.
anorred
how much pressure can be generated upon ignition of gasoline/air in an internal chamber at atmospheric pressure? I know that combustion engines can generate well over 1000 psi on the piston but this occurs when the air is compressed to begin with.

Engineering news on Phys.org
anorred said:
how much pressure can be generated upon ignition of gasoline/air in an internal chamber at atmospheric pressure? I know that combustion engines can generate well over 1000 psi on the piston but this occurs when the air is compressed to begin with.
Are you saying that you have a stoichiometric mixture of air and gasoline vapor in an insulated rigid chamber at atmospheric pressure and you want to know what the pressure and temperature will be in the chamber after complete combustion?

Yes please. I'm trying to build a tool that uses a blow of compressed air from a compressor (150 psi) but I would like to know if gasoline would work better.

anorred said:
Yes please. I'm trying to build a tool that uses a blow of compressed air from a compressor (150 psi) but I would like to know if gasoline would work better.
This sounds very dangerous. Physics Forums rules and guidelines preclude us from giving advice on dangerous endeavors. Please consider not pursuing this alternative.

You are building a bomb. Don't do this.

Experiments like these were performed by combustion experts at our university and the safety regulations were extreme: specially made combustion chamber, blast shields, remote controlled setup...

Don't do this!

anorred said:

No. You will kill yourself and possibly many others. Please do not attempt this.

Thread locked.

1. What exactly is pressure generated from gasoline combustion?

Pressure generated from gasoline combustion refers to the force exerted by the expanding gases produced during the combustion process of gasoline. This pressure is what ultimately drives the movement of the pistons in an internal combustion engine.

2. How is pressure generated from gasoline combustion measured?

Pressure generated from gasoline combustion is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa). This can be done using specialized equipment such as pressure gauges or sensors.

3. What factors affect the amount of pressure generated from gasoline combustion?

The amount of pressure generated from gasoline combustion is influenced by several factors, including the type and amount of fuel used, the air-fuel ratio, the compression ratio of the engine, and the efficiency of the combustion process.

4. Is pressure generated from gasoline combustion dangerous?

In a controlled environment, such as in an internal combustion engine, pressure generated from gasoline combustion is not dangerous. However, if gasoline is not properly contained and ignited, it can lead to explosions and fires that can be hazardous.

5. How does pressure generated from gasoline combustion impact engine performance?

The pressure generated from gasoline combustion is essential for the proper functioning of an internal combustion engine. It drives the movement of the pistons, which in turn, powers the vehicle. Higher pressure can result in more power and torque, while lower pressure can decrease engine performance.