Pressure increase required for 1 Joule of work

In summary, the pressure increase required to impart one joule of mechanical work in reversibly compressing 1 mol of silver at room temperature is 1461.4 atm. However, there may be some discrepancy in the textbook's values for compressibility and atmospheric pressure.
Bergman

Homework Statement

Estimate the pressure increase required to impart one joule of mechanical work in reversibly compressing 1 mol of silver at room temperature.
Same process for alumina.

Homework Equations

W=-PdV
dV=V(alpha)dT-V(beta)dP
dT=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the work equation and the equation for dV to find the following:

delta W=-P[-V(beta)dP]
delta W= V(beta) integral (PdP)
W= VBeta/2 * (P2^2-P1^2) When I try to use this equation with the values in my textbook, I am not getting the correct answer. My book gives the molar volume as 10.27 cc/mol, and the beta value for silver as 9e7.
At this point I'm not entirely sure if my equation is correct and I'm simply making a mistake in my calculations or units, or I'm very far off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bergman said:
When I try to use this equation with the values in my textbook, I am not getting the correct answer.
It would help if you could say what you get and what the book gets.

I have continued working on the problem, and found the relationship 1J=9.8699 cc atm. When I use this I get:

2* 9.8699 cc atm / (10.27 cc * 9e-7) = P2^2-P1^2

In which case I get 1461.4 atm

The book gave the compressibility as 9 e7, but I think it should be 9 e-7

The answer in the back of the textbook is 9 e6 atm

Neglecting atmospheric pressure:
This page quotes 0.00993 GPa-1 for silver and confirms the molar volume.

At 1461*105 Pa, we compress it by 0.00145, and I get 1.09 J, that fits.

At 9 million times the atmospheric pressure (?) silver doesn't behave linearly any more.

Thank you for the help, I really appreciate it. I may contact my professor to ask if the textbook may be wrong, considering that I have been able to do the same calculation for alumina, and get the expected value.

What is the formula for calculating the pressure increase required for 1 Joule of work?

The formula is P = W/V, where P is pressure in Pascals, W is work in Joules, and V is volume in cubic meters.

Can you explain the relationship between pressure and work?

Pressure and work have an inverse relationship. As pressure increases, the amount of work required decreases, and vice versa.

What is the SI unit for measuring pressure?

The SI unit for pressure is the Pascal (Pa).

Is the pressure increase always the same for 1 Joule of work?

No, the pressure increase required for 1 Joule of work can vary depending on the specific system and conditions.

How is this concept used in real-world applications?

This concept is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry to calculate and understand the pressure changes in different systems, including fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, and mechanical systems.