Pressure on a vertical rectangular plate submerged in water

In summary: The question goes as follows..:A car driver has an accident and drives into a lake. The car sinks to the bottom. The distance from the car door to the water surface is 10m. The car door is 0.9m wide and 1.3m tall. Assume that the car door can be approximated as a vertical rectangular plate and that the car is filled with air.In summary, the pressure force acting on the door is 122kN.
Kqwert
The question goes as follows..:

A car driver has an accident and drives into a lake. The car sinks to the bottom. The distance from the car door to the water surface is 10m. The car door is 0.9m wide and 1.3m tall. Assume that the car door can be approximated as a vertical rectangular plate and that the car is filled with air.

A) Calculate the pressure force acting on the door

--------
The solution manual solves the problem by calculating the hydrostatic force halfway down the car door,

i.e. F = rho*g*(10+0.5*1.3) / 1.3*0.9

Isn't this wrong? My idea was to calculate the force by using the "prism" method, described here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_prism

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello K, :welcome:

Well, do you get a different answer ?

Yeah, I get a different answer. I get ~122kN while the above mentioned formula gives ~89kN

Could you show the steps ?

After looking at the solution manual I believe that the author has just mixed up the definition of Pressure. By multiplying and not dividing the area on the hydrostatic force halfway down the car door I get the same answer as mine. I get 122kN by the way. I assume that is the correct answer? :-)

I get 122 kN too. A dimension check would have shown the / 1.3 in the expression can't be right.

Is it clear to you why the prism expression gives the same result as taking the pressure halfway ?

Nope, could you explain it? :-)

$$F = \int p\,dA = \int \rho g h \;d(w\times h) = \rho g w \int h \,dh = {1\over 2} \rho g w \left . h^2 \displaystyle \right |_{bot}^{top} =\\ {1\over 2 } \rho g w (h_{top}^2 - h_{bot}^2) = \rho g w (h_{top} - h_{bot}) {1\over 2 } (h_{top} + h_{bot}) = \rho g A\, h_{\rm average} $$
with ## A## the area, ##w## the width.

Thank you. In these expressions, what is htop and hbot?

10 and 11.3 m, respectively :rolleyes:

Thanks! I guess there generally will be no difference if you integrate the other way around - i.e. from top to bottom?

Correct. If you integrate from bottom to top ##dA = w\,dh##, but if you integrate from top to bottom, then ##dA = -w\,dh## :cool:

So you get a negative answer regardless?

BvU said:
10 and 11.3 m, respectively :rolleyes:
Should that be -10 and -11.3 ?

haruspex said:
Should that be -10 and -11.3 ?
As always, Haru is right ! I used ##dh>0## for #8, so I chose up as positive. As a consequence, ##g < 0## :rolleyes:

Kqwert said:
So you get a negative answer regardless?
Good remark -- My sloppiness..o:) (although with ##g<0## the answer is positive)

Leaves us the question: what is the meaning of a plus or minus sign.

##p=\rho g h## comes from ##\Delta p=\rho g \Delta h##, so ##p - p_{\rm surface} = \rho g (h - h_{\rm surface}) ## where we take ##h## and ##g## in the same direction ( you take the depth and use ##g > 0## or you take the height and use ##g < 0##.

As you know, ##F## is a vector ##\vec F## and ##p## is a scalar (a number without direction). Therefore ##dF = p \;dA## should in fact be written as ##\vec F = p\;d\overrightarrow {A}## and we need to establish coordinates. That means work and I try to avoid that ( -- except sometimes in the PF context --) . I know the force is inwards so I don't pay attention to the sign. I also know that the other door experiences the same force, but in the opposite direction. In this exercise, ##\| \vec F\| ## is the answer.

In #8 I should have written ##\vec F = \displaystyle \iint \ p \;d\overrightarrow {A} ## and the established coordinates would hopefully tell me the two force vectors for the two doors both point inwards.

I've forgotten the exact definition of ##d \overrightarrow A##, though... :confused:

I guess dh becomes negative because you are integrating from a bigger number to a smaller number?

1. What is the formula for calculating the pressure on a vertical rectangular plate submerged in water?

The formula for calculating the pressure on a vertical rectangular plate submerged in water is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the plate.

2. How does the depth of the plate affect the pressure on a vertical rectangular plate submerged in water?

The pressure on a vertical rectangular plate submerged in water increases with depth. This is because as the depth increases, there is more water above the plate, resulting in a greater weight of water pressing down on the plate and therefore a higher pressure.

3. What is the difference between pressure on a vertical rectangular plate submerged in water and pressure on a horizontal rectangular plate submerged in water?

The main difference between the two is the direction of the force. In the case of a vertical rectangular plate, the force is acting downwards due to the weight of the water above the plate. In the case of a horizontal rectangular plate, the force is acting upwards due to the weight of the water below the plate.

4. How does the shape of the plate affect the pressure on a vertical rectangular plate submerged in water?

The shape of the plate does not affect the pressure on a vertical rectangular plate submerged in water. The pressure is determined by the depth and the density of the water, not the shape of the plate.

5. What happens to the pressure on a vertical rectangular plate submerged in water if the density of the water changes?

If the density of the water changes, the pressure on a vertical rectangular plate submerged in water will also change. This is because the pressure is directly proportional to the density of the water. If the density increases, the pressure will also increase, and vice versa.