Pressure Variance, Displacement, and a Soft Drink Bottle

In summary: I think my answer is correct.In summary, the question is asking for the correct description of the displacement of air elements and the air pressure at the bottom of a bottle when a pulse of sound travels down through the air in the bottle after blowing across the top. The two viable options are (c) the displacement is zero and the pressure is at a maximum and (d) the displacement is zero and the pressure is at a minimum. The key to choosing between these options is to consider what happens at the top of the bottle when a sudden gust of air goes across it. The Venturi effect, which states that air must enter or leave to create a pulse of sound in the bottle, supports option (d) as the correct answer
Ethan Godden

Homework Statement

If you blow across the top of an empty soft-drink bottle, a pulse of sound travels down through the air in the bottle. At the moment the pulse reaches the bottom of the bottle, what is the correct description of the displacement of the elements of air from their equilibrium positions and the pressure of the air at this point. (a) the displacement and pressure are both at a max (b)both at a minimum (c)the displacement is zero and the pressure is a max (d) The displacement is zero and the pressure is a minimum

Homework Equations

s(x,t)=smaxcos(kx-ωt) where s is the displacement
ΔP=ΔPmaxsin(kx-ωt)=Bsmaxksin(kx-ωt) where B is the bulk modulus
→ΔPmax=Bsmaxk

The Attempt at a Solution

I am greatly confused about how to think for this question. I know both the displacement and ΔP functions are out of phase because one uses sine and the other uses cosine which mean (c) and (d) are the only viable answers. I do not know how to determine if the pressure is a minimum or a maximum. My guess is that since the sound wave is at the bottom of the bottle, the pressure would be at a maximum because of the soundwave pushing the bottle. Is this correct?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Ethan Godden said:
c) and (d) are the only viable answers.
I agree with that, but more because the bottom of the bottle is a fixed position, the air there necessarily stays put.
But to choose between max and min, you need to consider what happens at the top of the bottle when a sudden gust of air goes across it. Does more air enter the bottle or does some air leave it?

haruspex said:
I agree with that, but more because the bottom of the bottle is a fixed position, the air there necessarily stays put.

What do you mean by fixed position? Are you saying since sound waves a longitudinal, the elements of the air at the botoom of the bottle cannot move any father? This would suggest a place of high pressure if what I am thinking this means is true.

haruspex said:
But to choose between max and min, you need to consider what happens at the top of the bottle when a sudden gust of air goes across it. Does more air enter the bottle or does some air leave it?

If this were real life, I would think air is added to the bottle for a period of time. That being said, I would think since this is a question out of the text, blowing air across the top of the bottle means no elements of air are added to the bottle: just moving across the top.

Ethan Godden said:
What do you mean by fixed position? Are you saying since sound waves a longitudinal, the elements of the air at the botoom of the bottle cannot move any father?
Yes, and conversely that the layer of air immediately adjacent to the bottom of the bottle can never move up, as that would creat a perfect vacuum. That a node arises at the closed end of a tube is a standard assumption in acoustics.
Ethan Godden said:
to the bottle for a period of time. That being said, I would think since this is a question out of the text, blowing air across the top of the bottle means no elements of air are added to the bottle: just moving across the top.
No, some air must enter or leave to create a pulse of sound in the bottle. Are you familiar with the Venturi effect?

haruspex said:
No, some air must enter or leave to create a pulse of sound in the bottle. Are you familiar with the Venturi effect?

I am not.

Ethan Godden said:
I am not.
Google.

Okay, my only problem with this is doesn't the Venturi effect cause less air to be in the bottle? Since air is flowing over the top, does that means air is pulled out of the bottle to fill the air above the bottle that has been pushed away.

I am assuming this interpretation is wrong as then wouldn't there be less air at the bottom of the bottle?

Ethan Godden said:
Okay, my only problem with this is doesn't the Venturi effect cause less air to be in the bottle? Since air is flowing over the top, does that means air is pulled out of the bottle to fill the air above the bottle that has been pushed away.

I am assuming this interpretation is wrong as then wouldn't there be less air at the bottom of the bottle?
Why does that make it wrong? Isn't that one of the two offered options?

I was assuming before that air was added to the bottle pushes the air down in the bottle creating a region of high pressure at the bottom.

Now I am thinking that if air is pulled out, then air from the bottom has less pressure meaning there is a minimum instead of a maximum at the bottom.

Ethan Godden said:
I was assuming before that air was added to the bottle pushes the air down in the bottle creating a region of high pressure at the bottom.

Now I am thinking that if air is pulled out, then air from the bottom has less pressure meaning there is a minimum instead of a maximum at the bottom.
That would be my answer.

That would be a problem as the back of my book says its a maximum (I probably should have disclosed the book answer before).

Ethan Godden said:
That would be a problem as the back of my book says its a maximum (I probably should have disclosed the book answer before).
Then the author did not think through the mechanism by which blowing across the top of the bottle generates movement in the bottle.

1. How does pressure variance affect a soft drink bottle?

Pressure variance refers to the difference in pressure between the inside and outside of a container. In the case of a soft drink bottle, pressure variance can cause the bottle to expand or contract, depending on the conditions. For example, a decrease in pressure outside the bottle (such as when traveling to a higher altitude) can cause the bottle to expand, potentially leading to a buildup of pressure inside and potentially causing the bottle to burst.

2. What is displacement and how does it relate to a soft drink bottle?

Displacement refers to the amount of space an object occupies. In the context of a soft drink bottle, displacement refers to the amount of liquid inside the bottle. When a soft drink bottle is opened, the liquid inside is displaced as it is poured out. This displacement creates a decrease in pressure inside the bottle, leading to a release of carbon dioxide gas and the characteristic fizzing sound.

3. How does the shape of a soft drink bottle affect its pressure and displacement?

The shape of a soft drink bottle can have a significant impact on its pressure and displacement. A bottle with a wider base and narrower neck, such as a soda bottle, will have a higher pressure and displacement compared to a bottle with a more cylindrical shape, such as a water bottle. This is because the wider base allows for a greater amount of liquid to be stored, resulting in a higher displacement.

4. Can pressure variance and displacement affect the taste of a soft drink?

Yes, pressure variance and displacement can affect the taste of a soft drink. When a bottle is opened, the decrease in pressure can cause the carbon dioxide gas to escape rapidly, leading to a loss of carbonation and a flatter taste. Additionally, if the bottle has been exposed to high pressure or extreme temperatures, it can affect the carbonation levels and alter the taste of the drink.

5. How can pressure variance and displacement be measured in a soft drink bottle?

Pressure variance and displacement can be measured using various tools, such as a pressure gauge or displacement sensor. These tools can provide accurate readings of the pressure and displacement inside a soft drink bottle. Additionally, changes in the bottle's shape or volume can also be used to estimate the pressure and displacement. For example, if a bottle appears more expanded than usual, it can indicate a higher pressure inside.