Pressure vs speed in an immersed object

In summary, the conversation is about the mathematical relationship between pressure and speed in a steady moving fluid. The person asking the question is studying the pressure on a moving plate in a granular material and wants to compare it to fluid dynamics. The response mentions Bernoulli's equation and explains that the pressure will vary with the square of the velocity. There is also a discussion about a formula and the possibility of a linear or quadratic relationship between pressure and speed.
serbring
Hi all,

In case of a fully immersed and standing object (i.e. a plate or sphere) in a steady moving fluid (i.e. water or oil), what is the type of the mathematical relationship between the pressure of a point of the object? Might exponential be right? I need this information because I measured the pressure on an moving plate inside a granular material (particles are in order of a hundred thousandth of the smallest size of the plate) and I found out that the relationship is close to be exponential so I want to make a comparison with fluid dynamics because the field is much more studied.
Hopefully I have well stated the question, if not please give the details you need.

Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yeah I'm not following you exactly. What do you mean by "pressure of a point of the object"? Can you maybe draw a picture of what you are doing?

Look at this picture
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3zbVDvJ_VQ9_D8id7Npy_2XOMu-esh9zTPYBoUStopy83wMdJ2Q.jpg

For pressure on point, I meant the pressure over the surface of the sphere or a plate. In case of the shpere it may be described by [itex]\theta [/itex]

If you ignore the effects of viscosity, and assuming the flow is steady, then the relationship follows Bernoulli's equation:
[tex]p_1 + \dfrac{1}{2}\rho v_1^2 = p_2 + \dfrac{1}{2}\rho v_2^2.[/tex]
In this case, let the 1 conditions be the free stream (call the pressure ##p_{fs}## and velocity ##U##) and the 2 conditions be against the surface of the body, then the pressure is going to be
[tex]p = p_{fs} + \dfrac{1}{2}\rho\left( U^2 - v^2 \right).[/tex]

What exactly those pressures will be depends on the velocity distribution. The pressure will vary with the square of the velocity, though. I am not familiar enough with granular flows to be able to tell you if there is some exponential relationship in those cases.

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know, Bernoulli's equation is valid also for external fluid flows. I found out also this formula: http://s12.postimg.org/dbr17jyt9/Immagine.png
If that it is true the pressure is linear with the speed, right? That it is different from what it is predicted by Bernoulli's equation, right?

Actually, looking more into the data, a quadratic model can fit rather well the data as it is predicted by Bernoulli's equation.

serbring said:
If that it is true the pressure is linear with the speed, right? That it is different from what it is predicted by Bernoulli's equation, right?
Actually, looking more into the data, a quadratic model can fit rather well the data as it is predicted by Bernoulli's equation.
Pressure is proportion to fluid density multiplied by the square of the speed.

What is the relationship between pressure and speed in an immersed object?

The pressure and speed of an immersed object have an inverse relationship - as the speed of the object increases, the pressure on the object decreases.

How does the shape of an immersed object affect the pressure-speed relationship?

The shape of an immersed object can affect the pressure-speed relationship. Objects with a streamlined shape experience less pressure at higher speeds compared to objects with a less streamlined shape.

What is the role of fluid density in the pressure-speed relationship?

Fluid density plays a significant role in the pressure-speed relationship. As the density of the fluid increases, the pressure on the immersed object also increases at a given speed.

Can the pressure-speed relationship be affected by the fluid's viscosity?

Yes, the viscosity of the fluid can also impact the pressure-speed relationship. High viscosity fluids create more resistance on an immersed object, resulting in higher pressure at a given speed.

What are some real-life applications of understanding the pressure-speed relationship in immersed objects?

Understanding the pressure-speed relationship in immersed objects is crucial in various fields, such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and engineering. This knowledge allows for the design and optimization of vehicles, aircraft, and structures that move through fluids.