Pressurized gas container gets opened

In summary, the question is asking for the temperature change associated with releasing the pressure of an empty 2-liter bottle containing 3 g of air at an initial pressure of 1105 mb, resulting in standard atmospheric pressure. The equations provided are used to solve for this change, but there are unknown variables and multiple possible scenarios for the system, such as the final volume of air and temperature of the remaining air, escaped air, or room air. The presence or absence of insulation or a valve also affects the solution.
dkeating

Homework Statement

I have an empty 2-Liter bottle. It contains 3 g of air inside with an initial air pressure of 1105 mb. When I open it (which is an adiabatic process), I release the pressure which is instantaneous. The pressure then becomes standard atmospheric pressure. What is the temperature change associated with
this?

Homework Equations

W = ∫pdV | dU = Q - W | du + pdV = dQ | dQ = cpΔU = -Wad

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest, I really don't know where to begin. My attempts have only led me to equations that have 2 unknowns.
I had two basic trains of thought: We assume that opening the 2 liter bottle leads to a new volume of air that expands out into the environment. In which case, I don't know the final volume OR the final temperature.
My other train of thought was: We assume that the 2 liter bottle is a system and that 2 liter volume doesn't change. In which case the integral of work comes out as zero (as we are supposed to integrate from final to initial volume) and I don't know how to proceed with that either.
Any insight would help, this has been stumping me for a day and a half!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that 1105 mb milli-bars or mega bars?

When you ask, "what is the temperature change," do you mean the temperature of the air remaining in the bottle after the system has equilibrated? The temperature of the air that has escaped and mixed with the room air? The room air temperature?

Is the bottle insulated?

Does the air flow through a valve, or is it flowing through an unblocked 2 liter bottle opening?

1. What happens when a pressurized gas container gets opened?

When a pressurized gas container is opened, the gas inside is able to escape. This results in a decrease in pressure and an increase in volume, as the gas expands to fill the surrounding space.

2. How does the pressure inside a pressurized gas container affect its contents?

The pressure inside a pressurized gas container is directly related to the amount of gas contained within it. As the pressure increases, so does the density of the gas. This can affect the behavior and properties of the gas, including its ability to dissolve into liquids or its ability to ignite.

3. What safety precautions should be taken when opening a pressurized gas container?

It is important to handle pressurized gas containers with caution, as the sudden release of gas can be dangerous. Always wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and ensure that the container is pointed away from yourself and others when opening. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for handling and storing pressurized gas containers.

4. What are some common uses for pressurized gas containers?

Pressurized gas containers are used in a variety of industries and applications, including welding, refrigeration, propulsion systems, and medical devices. They are also commonly used in aerosol products, such as hairspray and cooking spray, to deliver a fine mist of product.

5. Can pressurized gas containers be reused?

In most cases, pressurized gas containers are meant for one-time use and should not be reused. This is because the container may become damaged or weakened after use, which can lead to safety hazards. It is important to properly dispose of pressurized gas containers after use, following all local regulations and guidelines.